none
EDI Batching - Out of the box RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

I am trying to figure out the EDI batching functionality that is delivered in BTS 2009.  The demo/tutorials assume you are receiving a complete EDI interchange into the batching orchestration.  I've managed to mimic this in my scenario but it seems wrong to me. 

My scenario is as follows

1. Receive individual IDOC's from SAP system - custom pipeline sets the EDI.DestinationPartyName

2. Map to trading partners EDI requirements (X12 810) on a Send port (with EdiSend Pipeline) that is configured for the destination party. Currently just going to file system to be read back in for batching.

3. Receive Message back into Biztalk using EdiReceive pipeline (this routes to batching orchestration).  The batch marker only exists on this pipeline out-of-the-box so I assume this is how batching so should be accomplished.

4. When batch release criteria is met the full batched interchange hits another send port with the EdiSend pipeline again.  This replaces all the control numbers with new ones (ISA12, GS06, ST02)

Here are my problems with the above approach

1. Hitting the EdiSend pipeline twice for the same message seems wrong.  For example a batch of 2 810 docs would cause 3 ISA13 control numbers to be generated out of the partner agreement.  We will only be sending one batched interchange to the customer but it seems like I have no choice because the batching orchestration expects a complete interchange.

2. On my EdiReceive port that sends to the orchestration, it resolves the party as BTSGuestParty.  All the ISA info is present in the context, why doesn't it resolve my actual partner name?  This doesn't seem to matter because the partner's batch filter setting and the Batch Marker component route to the batching orchestration.  It just seems backwards to me and the documentation isn't very thorough.

Is my approach right? Is their a better way to do this?

My basic requirement is to batch all received INVOIC02 Idocs into a single EDI batch of x12 810 docs in a 10 minute window.

Thanks

Thursday, June 10, 2010 7:41 PM

Answers

All replies

• Thanks.

I'll give this approach a try.  I thought about doing something similar but figured I was off track because there was no documentation to suggest that approach.  Is this the standard practice for EDI batching?

Also, when you receive the edi doc for batching, does it resolve BTSGuestParty for the PartyName property(http://schemas.microsoft.com/BizTalk/2003/messagetracking-properties)

Friday, June 11, 2010 12:28 PM
  • Thanks Toby. I have this working using your suggested approach.  I am still hoping to here some confirmation or different ideas from others before marking as answered.

It just seems bizarre to me that we need to manage two parties to send batched documents to a single party.  It doesn't give the feeling of an out-of-the-box solution that supports batching. 

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 12:48 PM
  • Hi,

I apppreciate your help

Can you explain me how you achieved this in BTS 2009..

I am having source flat files(FF) and mapping to EDI.(BTS 2009)
    In FF file I have multiple headers and each header have a unique ID(business ID).In input FF file the IDs many be same for some.
    Now when I create output EDI, I am getting many single EDI messages.Total messages will be same as how many input kw file has headers.
     So I want the output to be batched in one EDI message consisting of all the same IDs.
    How to achieve this. I appreciate your help.

OUtput should be:

ISA

GS

ST

SE

ST

SE

GE

IEA

Thanks

Friday, June 25, 2010 5:57 AM