Performance showing same image a lot of time RRS feed

• Question

• User-158047417 posted

Hi All,

I have made an ASP page with over 1000 rows (in a table). On each row there are 3 images. A delete, modify and add image. So each row has the same 3 images, that are repeated on each row.

It takes about 5 seconds to generate the page. When I don't show the images it only takes 2 seconds. I don't know why showing the same pictures over and over again has such a dramatic result on the performance.

I used firebug (firefox) to test the loadtime. Below the results:

• With images --> 4.83 seconds - 2.7MB
    • Without images -->1.66 seconds - 0.9MB

Is there a way to improve the performance and still show the images on each line?

Thanks in advance

Regards, Bart

Friday, July 1, 2011 6:10 AM

Answers

• User3866881 posted

tnx Ken!

I understand that JQuery/AJAX can be an improvement.

Still I don't understand why it takes so long to load the images multiple times.

Any other thoughts?

Hello:)

I think you can also try to improve the speed by——Shorten the size of your image. If possible, please use something like png or gif instead of jpg or bmp in web site for a quick transportation. Because you only use the three images for the symbol of buttons like Deleting, Editing or Selecting...

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 9:47 PM

All replies

• User-417784260 posted

The best way to improve performance is to reduce the amount of info the page needs to load before showing the page.  First use jquery to load the 1000 rows after the page is displayed.  I would also suggest you not show 1000 rows to the user.  You should use paging to show at 100 rows at a time

Friday, July 1, 2011 6:16 AM
  • User-158047417 posted

tnx Ken!

Still I don't understand why it takes so long to load the images multiple times.

Any other thoughts?

Friday, July 1, 2011 6:57 AM
  • User3866881 posted

tnx Ken!

Any other thoughts?

Hello:)

I think you can also try to improve the speed by——Shorten the size of your image. If possible, please use something like png or gif instead of jpg or bmp in web site for a quick transportation. Because you only use the three images for the symbol of buttons like Deleting, Editing or Selecting...

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 9:47 PM
  • User-417784260 posted

Remember you are loading 3000 images.  It is going to take a while even if there are small

Monday, July 4, 2011 9:36 AM
  • User-1567482218 posted

Run your page through these Web performance analysis & optimization tools & implement the suggestions they offer.

As you're using static images, you can consider caching them using IIS for a marginal perf improvement -  http://www.codeproject.com/KB/aspnet/CachingImagesInASPNET.aspx

Sunday, July 24, 2011 1:42 AM