Form doesn't submit in IE11 but works in Chrome/FF RRS feed

• Question

• User-1468668868 posted

I'm currently in the process of modernizing some old ASP pages by making UI changes and bootstrapping them. One of the pages creates forms tags for each row in the iteration for making changes to each row's data. That code was working in the old ASP page but post modernization it is not working in IE11. The code still works in Chrome and Firefox. Tried submitting the form via javascript too but that didn't work. I tried taking the form tag outside of but it still doesn't work. Anybody has any ideas/workarounds for this issue? Code reproduced below:

<%do until rsTemp.eof%>
      <tr>
        <form action="Extensions.asp" method="post">
          <td style="vertical-align:middle;" class="TenPtList"><%=rsTemp("PIName")%><form action="Extensions.asp" method="post">&nbsp;</td>
          <td style="vertical-align:middle;" class="TenPtList"><%=rsTemp("InstName")%>&nbsp;</td>
          <td style="vertical-align:middle;" class="TenPtList">
            <%Response.Write(rsTemp("ProposalTitle")) 
               dim SectionIDLOI,FirstPageLOI
               SectionIDLOI = GetSectionIDFromProposal(rsTemp("ProposalID"))
               FirstPageLOI= ReviewFirstPage(SectionIDLOI)
               if RAMSAdmin then%>
            <a target="_blank" href="<%=FirstPageLOI%>?ProposalID=<%=rsTemp("ProposalID")%>">(<%=rsTemp("ProposalID")%>)</a>
            <%else
                Response.Write("(" & rsTemp("ProposalID") & ")")
            end if%>
          </td>
          <td style="vertical-align:middle;"><%=rsTemp("ProgramName")%></td>
          <td style="vertical-align:middle;"><%=rsTemp("Stage")%></td>
          <td style="vertical-align:middle;"><%=rsTemp("DueDate")%></td>
          <td style="vertical-align:middle;">
            <input type="hidden" name="PageAction" value="Extend" />
            <input type="hidden" name="ProposalID" value="<%=rsTemp("ProposalID")%>" />
            <input type="hidden" name="GMProgramID" value="<%=ProgramID%>" />
            <input type="hidden" name="Cycle" value="<%=Cycle%>" />
            <input type="hidden" name="Stage" value="<%=Stage%>" />
            <input type="hidden" name="PILastName" value="<%=PILastName%>" />
            <input type="text" class="form-control" name="NewDate" size="20" value="<%=rsTemp("DueDate")%>" maxlength="25" />
            <input type="submit" name="tBtn" value="Change" class="btn btn-primary" style="margin-top:4px;"/>
          </form>
        </td>
      </form>
    </tr>            
    <%rsTemp.movenext
    loop%>
    Monday, January 14, 2019 7:49 PM

All replies

• User475983607 posted

The markup is invalid.  There are nested HTML Forms which are then nested within a tr tag.  I image IE11 will start working once you fix the markup.

Here is a utility to check the markup.

https://validator.w3.org/

Anyway, remove the inner HTML form as it does not serve a purpose.  Rather than creating rows within a loop.  Create forms that wrap tables.  Perhaps look into using the Bootstrap grid system rather than a table. 

I would craft a HTML by hand for testing then use the handcrafted HTML as a template for the looping construct. 

Monday, January 14, 2019 9:06 PM
  • User-1468668868 posted

I know the that IE complains of invalid markup, but the same code/page works in Chrome or Firefox and when I change the document mode to IE9 then it works in Internet Explorer too. Not sure why IE10/IE11 doesn't work.

The other thing is that I could've used Bootstrap but I'm using Datatables, so bootstrap might not be an option to use here. The reason of putting a form tag is to submit the data on click on Change button (screenshot below):

Could this somehow be made workable for IE11?

Thanks
    Anuj

Monday, January 14, 2019 10:19 PM
  • User475983607 posted

Could this somehow be made workable for IE11?

Fix the invalid markup.  

Monday, January 14, 2019 11:22 PM