Using KPIUtil, cannot export KPI from SQL Server 2005 Analysis Services to BSM and vice-versa RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to export KPIs created in Analyysis Services to BSM using KPIUtil.

I have KPIUtil installed on my machine which has the following:

Windows 2003 with SP1

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0

Common Language Runtime 2.0

Analysis Management Objects

Microsoft Office Business Scorecard Builder 2005

The BSM Server is on a separate machine. The scorecards created using BSM(without KPIUtil) work fine.

In the KPIUtil-New Configuration window, I am trying to export KPIs created in Analysis Services 2005 (which is on my machine) to Business ScoreCard Manager(on another machine). After filling in the required details, the Test Connection links on this window work fine, but  when I click button Generate, the utility gives a message  "Some of the KPIs were not exported. Check the log file for more information."

The following error shows up in the log file -

*** Internal ERROR *** Server was unable to process request. --> The Business Scorecard Manager server could not connect to the data source. Verify that all of the required data has been entered and that the connection information is correct. --> The connection either timed out or was lost. --> Unable to read data from the transport connection. --> An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
    <1/12/2006 7:41:09 PM>*** KPI Generation Ends ***

I tried doing otherwise(exporting KPIS from existing scorecard to Analysis Service), even this does not work. The same error shows up in this case as well.

Can anybody please help me solve this issue

TIA,

Sandeep

Thursday, January 12, 2006 2:26 PM

Answers

• Hi Sandeep,

Here are a few suggestions from the product team:

1. Can you try to give Everyone Full permission to the AS 2005 cube and try again to see if you get the same error message?

2. Also ensure that after you can connect you do the following:

Publish the sample indicators that are included with KPIUtil.exe to the Business Scorecard Manager server before you generate Business Scorecard Manager KPIs from SQL Server 2005 Analysis Services KPIs.

-brenda (ISV Buddy Team)

Monday, January 23, 2006 11:58 PM

All replies

• Hi Sandeep,

Here are a few suggestions from the product team:

1. Can you try to give Everyone Full permission to the AS 2005 cube and try again to see if you get the same error message?

2. Also ensure that after you can connect you do the following:

Publish the sample indicators that are included with KPIUtil.exe to the Business Scorecard Manager server before you generate Business Scorecard Manager KPIs from SQL Server 2005 Analysis Services KPIs.

-brenda (ISV Buddy Team)

Monday, January 23, 2006 11:58 PM
  • Hi Brenda,

I tried this option, still the problem did not seem to mitigate.

However, when my account was added to the Administrator group of the other machine ( the one with BSM Server), I was able to export the KPIs from SQL Server to BSM and vice-versa.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Regards,

Sandeep

Friday, January 27, 2006 11:48 AM