Monitor Biztalk SQL Server Agent job failed on Production RRS feed

All replies

• Can anyone please provide some advice on this.
    Wednesday, November 1, 2017 4:04 PM
  • Hi Vdha.

I would advise you to run the BizTalk Health Monitor tool once and checkj the detailed output of the scan.

generally monitor biztalk server job fails when there are orphaned instances or messages with negative ref ids.

cleaning them out using terminator should help the issue.

also it is advisable to put the latest cumulative updates on the biztalk server but that  is a careful process, you do it from tr\he dev environment upto the prod to ensure system stability.

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 4:05 PM
  • Thanks Mandar. 

Is BizTalk Health Monitor available with the BizTalk 2013 r2 installation or should I install them seperately ?

Also the terminator, where can I find them. 

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 4:10 PM
  • you can get latest version of  it from below link.

BizTalk Health Monitor v4.1 

bts 2013 r2 comes with a default bhm tool shipped with it.

refer below links for more details.

Using BizTalk Health Monitor (Part 1)

Getting started with BizTalk Health Monitor (BHM) 

Using BizTalk Health Monitor (Part 2)

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 4:19 PM
  • I dont think we have the BHM or terminator installed/setup in our PROD. Any other way of looking for the orphaned messages and cleaning them? Like in the Database/ via the console?

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 4:20 PM
  • BHM is the standard way you should follow.

it is not that difficult to install BHM. just refer the links I have shared and you should be good.

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 4:22 PM
  • One more question is Monitor Biztalk SQL Server Agent job failed will impact our PROD anyway. Can we install the cummulative update a month later? Or the BHM/terminator a month Later?
    Wednesday, November 1, 2017 4:24 PM
  • The monitor Biztalk server job fails even if there is a single orphaned instance or a single message with negative ref count. and it can also fail if there are lot of these.

a large number of these can cause performance issues 

My honest suggestion would be not to ignore this error and install the BHM tool on the environment as soon as possible. It will not affect the environment if you just run the BHM report.

It is just that you need to be careful while running the Terminator.

As for cumulative update, you can try by pushing the updates from dev environment in the meantime.

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 4:33 PM
  • The Monitor BizTalk Server Job has a shadowy history and, to be blunt, has never been useful.

I frequently leave it disabled for this exact reason.

When it first hit with BizTalk Server 2010(?), it would fail for several normal circumstances due to timing issues.  I don't even know if this has been fixed since I never use it. :(

My advice, Disable the Monitor BizTalk Server Job and use BizTalk Health Monitor instead.

• Proposed as answer by Viral.k.Parmar Thursday, November 2, 2017 6:30 AM
    Wednesday, November 1, 2017 6:22 PM