none
biztalk FTP adapter RRS feed

• Question

• I have FTP  adapter configure and I can see the same file downloaded again and again.

I already set delete after download. The most important thing is if I look log it looks like multiple files on the server but particular one only gets download multiple time. 

In the log,  I can see RETR for that file.

Can anybody explain me the reason for this? 

• Edited by dnyanbhar Tuesday, August 29, 2017 7:11 PM
    Tuesday, August 29, 2017 7:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I suggest you to refer the discussion here: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1faed297-c1ff-45e0-b80c-7cd40bb68868/biztalk-ftp-adapter-is-causing-duplicate-files?forum=biztalkgeneral

This could happen if the original document is still being written to the FTP server by the host application or holding a lock on the file so the delete command is blocked or ignored.  the FTP adapter cannot delete the document and will retrieve another copy of the document at the next polling interval that is configured for the receive location.

Also make sure in multi-server environment you need to have clustered host. Host clustering are recommended for adapters that requires a single host instance running at a time like FTP or POP3 to avoid duplicate messages while providing high availability.

Rachit Sikroria (Microsoft Azure MVP)

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 7:40 PM
  • For clarity, this is not a problem with BizTalk server.  For some reason, the FTP Server is not handling the delete properly.

So, the first place to diagnose this is on the server itself.  Are you able to delete the file in WinSCP or FileZilla?  Do any logs on the server offer any clues?

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 7:49 PM
  • Exactly that what I am guessing, but I want some proof to provide it to partner. 

I saw log but I do not see any error which says that " do not have delete rights".

But in event log I see something, is anything else I can see somewhere?

The Messaging Engine received an error from transport adapter "FTP" when notifying the adapter with the Batch-complete event.The reason "Safe handle has been closed".

and 

There was a failure executing the receive pipeline: "Microsoft.BizTalk.DefaultPipelines.PassThruReceive, Microsoft.BizTalk.DefaultPipelines, Version=3.0.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" Source: "Pipeline " Receive Port: "XXX" URI: "ftp://XXX/download/*" Reason: The connection to the remote FTP server "mercury.ingrammicro.com" was lost. 

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 7:55 PM
  • Have you configured writing to a log file on the FTP Receive Location
    Also request the needed log entries from the FTP server in question in order to troubleshoot the issue

I you haven't already you can configure a temp folder on the BizTalk Server in order to improve recovery from transfer failure
    Last entry in the table
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa547828.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Temporary Folder
    Specify the location for a temporary folder. You use this location to guarantee recovery from a transfer failure.

/Peter

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 8:45 PM
  • Check if your ftp user has rights to delete the file. Given full rights to the ftp user on ur ftp location and it should be fine.

Pi_xel_xar

Blog: My Blog

BizTalkApplicationDeploymentTool: BizTalk Application Deployment Tool/

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 8:55 PM
    Answerer
  • Yes I did
    Tuesday, August 29, 2017 9:18 PM