none
Max time a message will remain in the queue

Question

• Hi, 

I have a requirement to store messages in the azure queue store. However, they might need to be there longer than 7 days (more like 3 months) and always remain visible. I am willing to move to the latest version of the SDK.  Is there a way to do this?

cc

Thursday, November 10, 2011 7:37 PM

Answers

• Azure Storage queues likely aren't your best bet then. They won't guarantee FIFO.

Any reason you couldn't make due with Azure table storage with timestamp related values for the row/partition keys?

Thursday, November 10, 2011 8:59 PM

All replies

• Azure Storage queues have a max time to life of 7 days. Azure AppFabric durable message buffers don't have a max time to life but are not guaranteed (last I recall) to persist. I'm not sure and couldn't find anything off hand on a max time to life for Azure AppFabric queues.

And approach used by others is to utilize tables for longer running queue items like this.

Out of curiosity, are you using this for some type of job scheduler? Just wondering why you would need messages that could sit in the queue this long.

Thursday, November 10, 2011 7:43 PM
  • I'm creating an object change list, in my azure app,  that thereafter needs to be sync'd in order, one at a time, with a 3rd party engine. once sync'd, the item is to be deleted. It's a typical queuing application.  The changed objects are represented by queue messages. 

Thursday, November 10, 2011 7:59 PM
  • Azure Storage queues likely aren't your best bet then. They won't guarantee FIFO.

Any reason you couldn't make due with Azure table storage with timestamp related values for the row/partition keys?

Thursday, November 10, 2011 8:59 PM
  • That's my next best option. 

Thanks

Thursday, November 10, 2011 9:29 PM