TfsConfig.exe warning messages during import upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am performing a migration from TFS 2008 to TFS 2010. I have already installed and configured the TFS 2010 installation so from what I have read the best way to import the source code to the new installation is to perform a import-upgrade. But when I run the following command:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Team Foundation Server\Tools\TfsConfig.exe import /sqlinstance:<instance name> /collectionname:<imported collection name> /confirmed

I get the following message: "The Upgrade operation on the ApplicationTier feature has completed. There were 0 errors and 1 warnings." The warning message is as follow:

"Warning Message: [2011-09-19 15:34:40Z][Warning] TF252011: SQL Server Reporting Services could not be upgraded. The upgrade failed with the following error: Client found response content type of '', but expected 'text/xml'.The request failed with an empty response."

Anyone that knows what is causing this warning message?

Thanks in advance!
    Best regards
    Lars

• Moved by BillBarnett Tuesday, September 20, 2011 6:30 PM Moving to the TFS - Administration forum which is the best forum for upgrade questions. (From:Team Foundation Server – Migration and Integration)
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:48 AM

All replies

• Hello Lars,

Thanks for your post.

What is the version of SQL of your TFS2008, and what is of your TFS2010?

If you have SQL2005 in your TFS2008, however you have SQL 2008 of your TFS2010. This time, you should first upgrade these databases to the SQL2008 and then use the Import command.

Please take a look at these two links which may be helpful to you:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff407080.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/bkrieger/archive/2009/10/21/team-foundation-server-2010-upgrade.aspx

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:09 AM
  • Hi Vicky,

Yes, the TFS 2008 installation has a SQL Server 2005 running and the new TFS 2010 installation has the SQL Server 2008 version. But before I run the Import command I have manually moved all databases from the old SS 2005 machine to the SS 2008 machine. So I have moved the seven (7) databases to the new database server and are running the "convertion" operation on the same database server as the new TFS 2010 installation is located. As I have understood that is the way to do it, or?

Another question that I also run across is that it seems as if all alerts (Alerts Editor) have not been moved during the import procedure, is that correct?

Best regards
    Lars

Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:13 PM
  • Hello Lars,

What do you mean by saying that you manually moved all databases from the old SS 2005 machine to the SS 2008 machine? Could you please offer me more information about it?

And I am sorry that I am not the SQL Server experts, for the database upgrade issue, you can reopen one case on the SQL forum, try this one:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqldatabaseengine/threads

And For your second issue, you have not got the Alert Explorer after you import the databases, I want to say that Alert Explorer is part of the Power Tool. So for your scenario, you should install TFS2010 Power Tool. You can get it here:

http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/c255a1e4-04ba-4f68-8f4e-cd473d6b971f

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, September 23, 2011 5:52 AM
  • Hi Vicky,

I have manually taken backups (database backup command) of the seven (7) databases on the SQL 2005 (TFS 2008) and moved/copied them to the SQL 2008 server (TFS 2010) where I have restored them (database restore command). According to a lot guides on the web that is the way to handle the migration because otherwise you will upgrade the database on our current production TFS (TFS 2008) to the 2010 format and it will be unaccessible from our current production environment.

Regarding the alerts I have the Alerts Explorer installed but I cannot find all our configured alerts from our TFS 2008 environment after the migration to TFS 2010. It seems as if those are not moved to the new enviroment when I import the databases. Is that correct?

Best regards
    Lars

Friday, September 23, 2011 6:58 AM
  • Hello Lars,

Could you please list the 7 databases you back up for the SQL2005 and restore on the SQL2008? Do these 7 databases include ReportServer database (I am sorry I do not have SQL2005 on my side, in the SQL2008, Reporting Service uses the database named ReportServer)?

For the TF252011 warning you got, I think it may relates to you do not upgrade your Reporting Service 2005 to 2008 successfully. You can consult the experts on this forum for more information about Reporting Services upgrade:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlreportingservices/threads

And for your issue you missed alerts which are configured in the TFS2008 after upgrade TFS2008 to TFS2010, where do you create these alerts? In the Project Alert dialog or in the Alert Explorer? And do you use the same user account to view these alerts?

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]

Monday, September 26, 2011 5:16 AM
  • Hi Vicky,

The seven databases that I copy are: TfsActivityLogging, TfsBuild, TfsIntegration, TfsVersionControl, TfsWarehouse, TfsWorkItemTracking and TfsWorkItemTrackingAttachments. I do not copy any report server databases. Non of the migration guides have listed those. Actually I do not want to have those moved either if they are not totally necessary. Are they necessary?

Regarding the alerts I have created those using the Alerts Editor in VS 2008. Do you mean that alerts created through the Alerts Editor is only visible to the user that actually created them? In VS 2008 I had a separate installation account that is not present on the new server. Do you mean that the reason that I do not see the alerts is that I am using another account?

Best regards
    Lars

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 6:29 AM