none
Can VS 2010 and VS 2012 can be installed on the same machine?

Question

• Hi,

I have VS 2010 currently installed on a machine and wonder if I could install VS 2012 on the same machine? The old projects that used VS 2010 should probably stay using VS 2010. Will that be a problem?

Thanks in advance. 

Monday, December 07, 2015 6:23 PM

Answers

• you can install any Visual Studio version side-by-side.

but you can't install different edition of the same Visual Studio version side-by-side.

it will be no problem to in install several version of Visual Studio on the same computer.

Please use Mark as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Monday, December 07, 2015 6:46 PM
  • Hi wkpli,

Yes of course, you can have it on the same PC under the sam acount... But it is recommended to install Visual Studio versions in the order in which they were released. For example, install Visual Studio 2013 before you install Visual Studio 2015.

If you want more informations about this topic, I recommend you to take a look at this MSDN post: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms246609.aspx

Best regards!
    (If this was helpful for you propose it as an answer)

Tuesday, December 08, 2015 12:07 AM

All replies

• you can install any Visual Studio version side-by-side.

but you can't install different edition of the same Visual Studio version side-by-side.

it will be no problem to in install several version of Visual Studio on the same computer.

Please use Mark as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Monday, December 07, 2015 6:46 PM
  • Hi wkpli,

Yes of course, you can have it on the same PC under the sam acount... But it is recommended to install Visual Studio versions in the order in which they were released. For example, install Visual Studio 2013 before you install Visual Studio 2015.

If you want more informations about this topic, I recommend you to take a look at this MSDN post: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms246609.aspx

Best regards!
    (If this was helpful for you propose it as an answer)

Tuesday, December 08, 2015 12:07 AM
  • @wkpli,

Daniel_Steiner and Almir Vuk's suggestions are correct, we could install the VS2010 and VS2012 in the same Machine, of course, we have to make sure that the system supports the two versions, for example, as far as I know the XP doesn't support the VS2012. Of course, generally we install different VS versions from the old version to the new version one by one, so please install the VS2010, and then install the VS2012.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, December 09, 2015 8:56 AM