Scale Break in Stacked Bar Chart Possible? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

the ASP.Net Charting works great for me with one restricition.

A Scale break is not shown on a Stacked Bar chart.
    On column or bar charts it works, but not with stacked charts.

Is there something I have missed, or is this behaviour intended?.

Thx in advance
    Steve
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 12:53 PM

Answers

• Hi Steve,

This feature is not supported on stacked column charts.  We should update the documentation to indicate so, and we will also consider this as  a request for a future version.  We're interested to understand how you would expect this to work, because there are issues in what you would do with a large data point in the stack.  Would you run a scale break through it?

-Sean
    Program Manager, SQL Server Reporting Services
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 7:06 PM

All replies

• Hi Steve,

This feature is not supported on stacked column charts.  We should update the documentation to indicate so, and we will also consider this as  a request for a future version.  We're interested to understand how you would expect this to work, because there are issues in what you would do with a large data point in the stack.  Would you run a scale break through it?

-Sean
    Program Manager, SQL Server Reporting Services
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 7:06 PM
  • Hello Sean,

thx for your answer.
    Meantime I gave the users the possibility to hide series and swap between grouped stack bar and normal bar chart.

I would run a scale break through a large data point. But it should not hide the border of a stack.
    Maybe scale break count in stacked charts should be limited to the numbers of stacks in one bar or column by default
    to avoid confusion by the reader.

In my example I have a chart with accidents per 1000 employees per plant in different categories.
    There is one plant with about 80 employees. When they have 2 to 4 accidents in one month the data point is 4 times higher than other plants with 2000 or 8000 employees.

Steve
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 3:14 PM
  • The standard chart cannot apply an automatic scale break on a column chart (nor can other 3rd party controls like Nevron Chart for SSRS). However there you can at least place a manual scale break at position that you calculate from C# code injected in the control...

Christo

Monday, January 6, 2014 4:52 PM