[UWP]Windows Store App - regular Background Tasks

Question

• I asked my question in the german MSDN-Forum before but no one was able to answer me.So I want to aks my question here - perhaps someone of you knows the answer.

I have an App (in development) which notifies the User for special events.

These Events should be very accurate because they are important.

My current Solution is to run a Background Task every 15 Minutes and then to use all the ways Windows has to notify the user - Live Tile, Toast, Lock-Screen-Information etc.

Do you think this is the best way I can solve the problem or do you know a better solution?

PS: The App is a modern "Windows Universal App" (Developed with/for Windows 10).

PPS: I cannot use push notifications because the App does not have a server working for me and the userdata should be personal and protected.

Thnaks for your help and best regards from germany ;)

© 2015 Thomas Roskop

Germany // Deutschland

Thursday, May 7, 2015 7:10 PM

Answers

All replies

• If you know when the events are ahead of time then a background task is overkill and very expensive. It will be much easier, more performant, and more accurate to use use Scheduling notifications .

See How to schedule a tile notification and How to schedule a toast notification.

Thursday, May 7, 2015 7:38 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks Rob,

I donnot know the exact time therefore I must re-calculate it often to verify it.

But those scheduled Tiles/Toast are exactly what I was locking for.

Because now I would do It this way: Whan my Tasks runs at 15:45 and calculates it should notify at 16:00 o'clock, I can delay the notifications.

Thanks four your help!!!

© 2015 Thomas Roskop

Germany // Deutschland

Friday, May 8, 2015 4:15 AM