Using SignalR with self-host WCF service RRS feed

• Question

• User-249342012 posted

Hi all.

So currently I have a self-host WCF service that is using duplex polling to communicate with a Silverlight client. As Silverlight is going away, the client will be replaced with HTML and JS. However, to communicate with the WCF service, I don't think there is any library that can straight up support that. So did some research and arrived with couple solutions: long polling, adding WebSocket to the WCF service, and using SignalR. Using long polling might not be a good idea in my case for some reasons. Adding WebSocket is suitable but it would take much more time to dig in the old code to implement the support. So SignalR is seem to me a middle ground since it would take care of the implementation for the transport of the communication and there is JS library provided to communicate with the SignalR hub.

So my question is that how can I add SignalR to my project that it can use the current duplex code from the WCF service and allows the client to call it from JS? Do I have to add WCF service end point for the SignalR hub in order to make it work with the WCF? Do I just need to add the Hub implementation for the service and it will just work without any modification to the service code?

Thanks.

Thursday, February 16, 2017 6:54 PM

All replies

• User1771544211 posted

Hi nguyenhthai,

nguyenhthai

Do I have to add WCF service end point for the SignalR hub in order to make it work with the WCF?

As far as I know, you can't call the duplex WCF service with client script like angularjs or Jquery.

Best Regards,

Jean

Friday, February 17, 2017 6:52 AM
  • User765422875 posted

It's not clear why you need to keep your WCF Service if you plan on replacing your Silverlight client with a modern web app & SignalR. If the issue is that you want to preserve your business logic, then you can still do that even if you switch to SignalR.

You would create a Hub and methods that just re-use any business logic that you have in your service implementation. There may be some re-work and minor refactoring.

If you decide to keep your WCF Service - your future modern web app will have bi-directional communication with your SignalR instance. From your SignalR Hub, you would call your WCF service as you normally would to fetch your data or perform action and return it to your user via SignalR.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 10:00 PM