The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Azure Service Fabric!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

Service Fabric migration from Cloud Services - Staging Environment? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Something that i'm not grasping at this stage. We're building our first application based on micro-services, and have chosen Service Fabric. We're hoping to re-build our current Cloud Service to take advantage of micro services to more efficiently use hardware.

Problem: We don't understand how to configure a Staging environment. Essentially we want a safe place to test our services where they connect to a staging environment, with a seperate db etc.

Do we need to set up a seperate cluster as a staging environment, or can we deploy to the same cluster and configure the deployment differently?

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 1:27 PM

Answers

All replies

• You can set up a separate cluster as a staging environment or set up in the same cluster but use policy to ensure staging and production use different VMs.

Frank

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 2:24 PM
  • Hi

Thanks for the reply. I'd prefer to contain costs by using the same cluster. The staging workload will be minimal. Could you point me to a resource where I can read up on using a policy to do this? I'm coming up empty on my own.

Things that worry me are things like having multiple services trying to listen to port 80 on a node, and how to deploy from Visual Studio to the same cluster. It feels like Service Fabric is not as friendly to learn compared to Cloud Services, so I am trying to find as many resources on this as possible.

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 4:12 PM
  • https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/service-fabric/service-fabric-cluster-resource-manager-advanced-placement-rules-placement-policies

'Placement policies for service fabric services' details how to place services in a SF. Note that SF itself doesn't cost, it is the VMs that cost and since staging services are not supposed to be placed in the same VMs as the production services, cost saving may not be significant.

Frank

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 6:31 PM