none
opposite of request/response design pattern? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, the request/response design pattern is pretty standard in the implementation of modern enterprise and commercial web services.  Essentially, the parameters sent to the service are properties of a parent request object, like MyServiceRequest, and the data and information returned from the service are properties of a parent response object, like MyServiceResponse.

So, is there a simple, standard, way to describe a web service, that does *not* use the request/response design pattern?  For example, a web service that accepts 3 different parameters, and returns a generic list of objects?  I would say this example uses simple types instead of a request/response design pattern.  Is there a more appropriate, general technical term to describe this type of web service that does *not* implement a request/response design pattern?
    Sunday, November 3, 2013 5:50 PM

Answers

• <copied>

Hello, the request/response design pattern is pretty standard in the implementation of modern enterprise and commercial web services.  Essentially, the parameters sent to the service are properties of a parent request object, like MyServiceRequest, and the data and information returned from the service are properties of a parent response object, like MyServiceResponse.

<end>

I have only seen the request/response pattern being used once in all the Web services I have worked on or created over the years, just recently I ran into a contract where request/response objects were being used.

<copied>

So, is there a simple, standard, way to describe a web service, that does *not* use the request/response design pattern?  For example, a web service that accepts 3 different parameters, and returns a generic list of objects?  I would say this example uses simple types instead of a request/response design pattern.  Is there a more appropriate, general technical term to describe this type of web service that does *not* implement a request/response design pattern?

<end>

You can pass anything you want in on a Web service method from primitive types,  to complex type object or object graphs, just like you can do with any method in .NET (Web method of non Web method). There is nothing special going on there. One is passing parameters in on a method's signature that the method expects. It can be objects or primitive types. 

So you have Web services that use a request/response design pattern and those that don't use the pattern.  

You can use the request/response pattern on none Web service type services too in SOA or can choose not to use the pattern. 

Sunday, November 3, 2013 6:59 PM