Path Operations and Gradients RRS feed

• Question

• I was wondering if anyone else has experienced these same problems or if I'm
    just missing something.

When doing an Object >> Path Operation >> Divide on a gradient rectangle the
    gradient shifts on the two (or more) divided objects. Which means I have to
    adjust each one manually so that each divided objects gradient is streamlined
    to match one another.

Friday, March 21, 2008 9:57 PM

Answers

• Hey all, just an update. I've confirmed that the behavior you are seeing is not intentional. I don't have an ETA on when to expect it to be fixed, however. I'll keep you updated.
    Tuesday, March 25, 2008 6:42 PM

All replies

• I get the same thing.
    Like you, if I have a rectangle with a top to bottom gradient, when I divide it, the gradients in all of the newly divided pieces change to a left to right gradient, which is the default Design gradient direction.
    This really shouldn't happen. There's a reason why you've changed the direction of the gradient in the first place (because you want it that way). Dividing it shouldn't remove your new gradient direction.
    Tim Oliver
    Friday, March 21, 2008 10:08 PM
  • Tim in addition to that, if the pieces have either a rounded corner or are varied in width and you rotate it back (e.g. to a -90) both objects have their own individual interpreted gradient and each one has to be adjusted. I hate to say it but Expression Design reminds me a lot of Microsoft PhotoDraw only addition is the xaml.
    Friday, March 21, 2008 10:29 PM
  • It acts like you explained, which may or may not be the best behavior (it's handy when your idea is to split gradients), but you haven't to adjust each piece to have the gradients to match again each other.
    Just select all the pieces together and use again the gradient (or fill) transform tool. The fragments will be repainted like they were one whole object. This works also for objects that were never together before and/or are disconnected, enough they are all selected while applying the gradient transform.
    Tuesday, March 25, 2008 2:03 PM
  • I'm seeing the same thing - thank you for bringing this to light. I doubt the behavior is intended so I'm going to file a bug on this and see what the dev team says.

Will Buffington
    Microsoft Expression Support
    Tuesday, March 25, 2008 3:47 PM
  • Hey all, just an update. I've confirmed that the behavior you are seeing is not intentional. I don't have an ETA on when to expect it to be fixed, however. I'll keep you updated.
    Tuesday, March 25, 2008 6:42 PM