Driver Error Installing Windows-8 DP (All Versions) on Dell Precision T5500

Question

• Machine is Dell T5500 running A11 BIOS. Used USB to load W8 DP (tried all three versions x86, x64 + x64 with Dev package). I get to the point where it says "collecting information" on the screen and it asks for a CD/DVD device driver. I have no idea what driver it is looking for and this same thing happens across a very wide variety of Dell machines - Precision 490, Precision 690, T7400, T5400, T5500 & T7500 - all with either Toshiba or Samsung or Sony CD/DVD drives.
    Happens exactly the same across all machines. The same exact USB image will install w8x32 on my netbook without issue but then when I try and install it over to the Dell machines it needs this driver.
    ISO image is good - or checksums hash out, the USB drives will install W8 on other non-dell machines and I can use the USB drive as a host ISO to create a VM with W8.
    Picture of the error:
    I've put the W7 (dell OEM and Windows OEM Pro) DVD in the drive and it can't find a driver on the Dell OEM W7x64 DVD (32 or 64).
    It will not allow me to move forward and finish the install without the driver.
    Please help... Thx!

• Edited by WinstonTJ Sunday, December 18, 2011 2:05 AM
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 2:00 AM

Answers

• Hey WinstonTJ,

When you turn the computer on do you get stuck at the Windows Developer Preview circle, or do you have to go through the installation process again and then get stuck at the Windows Developer Preview circle?

In either case, try disconnecting all unnecessary external hardware or connections that may be attached to the machine while it is powered off. Then try turning it on to see if you get passed the spinning Windows Developer Preview circle.

Steven
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 2:50 AM

All replies

• More than likely it's looking for the disk controller driver.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 2:44 AM
  • More than likely it's looking for the disk controller driver.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

I've been looking at Intel's website (for Intel 5520 Chipset Drivers) but haven't found anything.

Does a disk driver exist for the Dell T5500 motherboard/system?

Where can I find the driver? (Dell does not publish & Intel either does not publish or I don't have access)

Sunday, December 18, 2011 4:50 AM
  • Looks like they are here. I'd try the Windows 7 drivers.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19

Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 8:39 AM
  • Looks like they are here. I'd try the Windows 7 drivers.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

I don't think they work - some forward progress... at least it recognizes that its looking for a storage/Serial-ATA driver (iaStor.inf) but it does not end up accepting the driver.

I have now tried every single SATA, SAS, etc. driver on the Dell website as well as every storage driver on Intel's website for the 5520 series chipset. 

FYI - RAID is turned OFF and it's fake RAID (Dell's software RAID not the built-in/on-board LSI-Logic RAID chip). 

Again, thanks for the reply, I believe it is looking for a storage-type driver and I think that the SATA controller is a good place to start but the current W7 drivers (at least what I've tried so far) are not working.

Does anyone know anyone with a Dell T3500/T5500/T7500 that is running the W8 DP? (any of them)

Thanks again - I appreciate the help. I really can't wait for Beta given the timelines, etc. I'm under.  

Sunday, December 18, 2011 11:15 PM
  • Since this is a pre beta, I would install the Windows 7 drivers in compatibility mode.

You may be able to install drivers that are designed for other versions of Windows by using the compatibility troubleshooter. You can try this troubleshooter by:

·         Enter the Start screen

·         Move your mouse to the bottom left of the screen to expand the Charms section

·         Select Search

·         Type Compatibility

·         Click Settings in the right column

·         Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows

Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the installer for your computer's driver/drivers.

Let us know if it helps.

Marilyn
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 7:34 PM
  •  

Thanks for the reply. No luck yet - some forward progress but its just not there. 

I did a zero-write on the USB drive (full format) and then switched from using a 3rd party ISO burner to Microsoft's ISO burner and I stopped getting the driver screen.

Currently the OS hangs at the "Windows Developer Preview" screen... longest I've let it run was 2 days so its stuck. The little clock keeps turning at the bottom so its not frozen - it just hangs. 

Does not matter how many times I try to re install and/or if I install W7 first and then do a clean install over W7. Also same result if I attempt a repair or recovery vs. install. 

Motherboard uses Intel 5520 series chipset and I'm trying with a single Xeon (Intel Confidential Engineering sample QGXP) CPU - I also have regular retail W5580 and X5680 CPUs and get the same result. 

Had difficulty using the onboard USB ports however having better luck using the onboard card-reader (from Dell) and installing from a Micro SD card vs. USB thumb drive. 

Either way all of the results are the same. OS Hangs at WDP screen. 

EDIT: Have contacted Dell... No luck, zero help, etc. 

• Edited by WinstonTJ Thursday, December 22, 2011 1:26 PM
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 1:26 PM
  • Hey WinstonTJ,

When you turn the computer on do you get stuck at the Windows Developer Preview circle, or do you have to go through the installation process again and then get stuck at the Windows Developer Preview circle?

In either case, try disconnecting all unnecessary external hardware or connections that may be attached to the machine while it is powered off. Then try turning it on to see if you get passed the spinning Windows Developer Preview circle.

Steven
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 2:50 AM