none
PWA making it look nice and a bit more intuative RRS feed

• Question

• I'm piloting PS2010 and getting a lot of negative feedback on the navigation in PWA and the sense of being overwhelmed by all the buttons and features.

Has anyone customised PWA using standard features and be willing to share a screenshot of what they've done. Any hints or tips on doing this on a blog people write.

Thanks in advance

Trying to stop the swap to Salesforce - but the errors keep a coming

Friday, August 2, 2013 9:28 AM

All replies

• Standard features to remove items from the ribbon - no. It is a fairly straightforward process to write the code in visual studio though, to do what you are looking for. Here's a good place to start:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg549101.aspx

key thing for removing is get to know the file at [Program Files]\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\FEATURES\PWARibbon\listtemplates\pwaribbon.xml as it has the IDs of everything in the ribbon.

Once you get the idea of finding IDs, then it's a simple process of removing items using TrimById.

Basic steps (this is in visual studio):

• Create a webpart (you'll put this on the page where you want to remove buttons / groups)
      • in the code, get the ribbon   
      • remove item using the ID 

protected override void OnLoad(EventArgs e)
            {
               base.OnLoad(e);
               SPRibbon ribbon = SPRibbon.GetCurrent(this.Page);
               ribbon.TrimById("Ribbon.ContextualTabs.ProjectDrilldown.Tasks.Editing.FiftyPercentComplete");

}

So looking at the ID, you can see that this is in a tab group called ProjectDrillDown, Tasks tab, editing group, button called FiftyPercentComplete, which is referring to the item circled in the pic below. You just have to watch out for minor things like the ID has 'Tasks' for the tab, but looking at it, the display name is 'Task'.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

SPRibbon

ribbon = SPRibbon.GetCurrent(this.Page);

Friday, August 2, 2013 1:37 PM
  • Andrew,

There are several things you can do with permissions, without having to customize the system. I would suggest you check those out before jumping on to customization. Sometimes just disabling a button is equally efective as hiding it.

Also, if you do want to hide buttons, check Alex's post here: http://epmsource.com/2011/12/07/hiding-disabling-ribbon-items-in-project-server-part-i/

Also, I would suggest you to check out Dale Howard's presentations on MPUG or Project Conference where he discusses some tips and tricks to help users Navigate easily. I cannot find those links right now, but wioll post once I find them.

Prasanna Adavi,PMP,MCTS,MCITP,MCT http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

Friday, August 2, 2013 2:01 PM
  • Thanks both - I may have a busy weekend ahead :)

If you can post those links it will be appreciated

Trying to stop the swap to Salesforce - but the errors keep a coming

Friday, August 2, 2013 2:46 PM