none
Creati ng selfsigned cercificate for e-mail using makecert RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to create using “makecert” tool a self-signed certificate to use it with MS outlook,  so I can encrypt the messages sent from my company’s Ms outlook to my home Ms outlook.

My user name is “jd”, my domain name at work is let’s say domain1.com. My e-mail is jd@blah.com.

I don’t know why my real domain part (from control panel “System/Advance system settings” and “Computer Name/Domain” properties which is “domain1”) in my e-maiI part is different “blah”) – that’s been set by our IT people.

I have created a self-signed certificate like this:

makecert -r -pe -n "E=jd@blah.com,CN=jan" -b 01/01/2005 -e 01/01/2060 -sky exchange -ss my c:\temp\jdaleckiTyco.cer

I attach the certificate just created above to my e-mail account (which jd@blah.com) using menu File/Options/Trust Center/ Trust Center Settings…/E-mail Security then Settings… – under both “Choose…” buttons (in  “Change Security Settings” dialog box) I select the above created certificate click OK/OK and OK again.

Now when I try to send a new message to let’s say user X and  clicking in the “Option” menu on the “Sign” button I get a message from Microsoft Outlook ver.2014 (,s office 2010):

“Microsoft Outlook cannot sign or encrypt this message because there are no certificates which can be used to send from the e-mail. Either get a new digital ID to use with this account, or use the Account button to send the message using an account that you have certificate.”

Would you have any suggestions please,

Janusz

Monday, August 24, 2015 11:23 AM