How to add a behavior made by someone else? RRS feed

• Question

• I can't seem to figure out how to add a behavior that I found in the Gallery. I looked inside EB3's help but came across instruction to edit the registry and didn't think that could be the right way to do this...

How do you add a behavior that someone else created to EB3?
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 8:17 PM

Answers

• Ahh, ok - I found it.

To add a dll or exe behavior go to Project->Add Reference navigate to the location that the dll or exe is located and click 'open'. The behavior is now added and you can use it from the same location that all other behaviors are located.

• Marked as answer by snortch Wednesday, September 16, 2009 8:51 PM
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 8:51 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Adding a behavior created by someone else is as simple as adding the library/code behind file to your project.  Once you have done that open up your asset panel and look under the category "Behaviors" to find it.

Also make sure the Behavior you are downloading was built against the RTM Release of Blend3 and that the project type you attempt to add it to is the same it was built for(i.e. Silverlight/WPF)

Scott
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 8:31 PM
  • how do you add the "library/code behind file"? Are you suggesting that I opent the behavior dll and copy and paste the code from it into the XAML view? Do I drag and drop the dll into the sketchflow project or sketchflow window? Is there an import behavior option (I don't see one).

A little more detail would be helpful

Thanks
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 8:35 PM
  • If you download an assembly that contains behaviors, you can just drop that assembly into the following folder:

Silverlight 3.0 - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Expression\Blend 3\Libraries\Silverlight\v3.0
    WPF 3.5 - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Expression\Blend 3\Libraries\Silverlight\v3.0

Then when you restart Blend, they will automatically show up in the Asset Library (and when you use them in a project, they are automatically referenced as necessary).

Alteratively, you can explicitly add an assembly reference by right clicking on the project and choosing the "Add Reference" command, and then browsing to the appropriate location where you Behaviors library is located at.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 8:46 PM
  • Ahh, ok - I found it.

To add a dll or exe behavior go to Project->Add Reference navigate to the location that the dll or exe is located and click 'open'. The behavior is now added and you can use it from the same location that all other behaviors are located.

• Marked as answer by snortch Wednesday, September 16, 2009 8:51 PM
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 8:51 PM