How to make my buttons look more "button like"

Question

• I have received feedback on my app, that the buttons dont look like buttons.  Do you have a suggestion on can I fix this?

• Edited by danielsn Wednesday, February 6, 2013 4:49 AM
    Tuesday, February 5, 2013 4:14 PM

Answers

• Try to use round buttons (img) or HubTiles (img)
    • Edited by DiogoCardoso Wednesday, February 6, 2013 5:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by danielsn Thursday, February 7, 2013 7:37 AM
    Wednesday, February 6, 2013 5:25 PM

All replies

• Try to use round buttons (img) or HubTiles (img)
    • Edited by DiogoCardoso Wednesday, February 6, 2013 5:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by danielsn Thursday, February 7, 2013 7:37 AM
    Wednesday, February 6, 2013 5:25 PM
  • Also consider to move About & Help widgets and functionality to the Settings Pane. One of the primary aims of Windows Store Apps is to provide consistent UX across all applications. 
    Thursday, February 7, 2013 6:23 AM
  • ForInfo,

Yes, I would love to do that, but if I do, people will probably try my app, be confused by what it does, and exit without ever knowing what it does.  It is a new concept, and hoping they will go to the settings page to then click on a help button would not be a very good design for this particular app, it would confuse the user, and they would probably leave without ever knowing what the app does.

The documentation is so critical that I would guess that almost no one who has not read the documentation will choose to use it.  From my understanding, more than half the current user base does not know how to bring up the settings, or the app bars.  (Control Z)  I hope it is not a requirement to put the buttons there as it will seriously damage my app.

Thanks,

Daniel

• Edited by danielsn Thursday, February 7, 2013 7:37 AM
    Thursday, February 7, 2013 7:33 AM
  • For your information, Guidelines for app help (Windows Store apps) (Windows) objectifies the UX requirements for the Help topic ...
    Thursday, February 7, 2013 7:52 AM
  • I dont have a "Help" page,  I have an information page, or something like that.  Here is a review of the status area, by a major writer, that gives an idea why I wouldnt want to hide the help button.  (Status is #4 on the list)

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57544323-285/five-least-intuitive-things-about-windows-8/

• Edited by danielsn Thursday, February 7, 2013 8:30 AM
    Thursday, February 7, 2013 8:24 AM
  • For constistence reasons I propose you move the "Help" to the Settings Pane. Sooner or later the users will look for it in the Settings Pane. Or at least have the documentation available both places.

If you need to educate your users, then you could rethink the UI, show a tutorial at first startup or provide "News of the day"/"Did you know"/... popups at each startup.

Saturday, February 9, 2013 9:39 AM
  • I ended up putting it both places.  Since after more than nine months of use I didnt know where the settings pane was, I didnt think the user would either, but it was trivial to add it there too, just in case.  So, good suggestion,. though the sooner or later doesnt work, as right now my average user is spending only six minutes in the app.
    Monday, March 11, 2013 8:24 PM