none
Application Inisights has stopped receiving data RRS feed

• Question

• On 16th November Application Insights stopped receiving data, it had been receiving data for about 3 weeks.

• The web application is only instrumented using Run time Analytics ( i don't have any nuget packages installed).
    • The web application is hosted on azure.
    • I have checked and the instrumentation keys are match.
    • I also have another web application that is send data to another Applications Insights instance.
    • There is definitely traffic going to the application. 
    • Twitter azure support have confirmed there are no outages.

Is there anything else i can check?

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 4:31 PM

Answers

• The issue was that when i deploy from TFS the job was set to delete all files that don't exist.
    As application insights (AI) was installed from the portal and not via a nuget package the files were deleted.
    The portal does not reinstall AI when it detects they are missing, instead you have to go to the app service in the portal -> Development tool -> Advanced Tools (Kudu) - this opens in a new window -> Site extensions. then uninstall and reinstall AI
    • Marked as answer by RichRubie Monday, April 24, 2017 7:25 AM
    Monday, April 24, 2017 7:25 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I'm not sure what might be the reason, but you might have reached the monthly quota of your app. For free apps, there is a limit of 1GB of monthly data.

Please see here on how to validate if you have reached the quota.

If this is not the issue, please send me your instrumentation key to asafst at Microsoft dot com so I could check if there is an issue with your app.

Thanks,

Asaf

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 8:42 PM
  • Asaf,

This 1 GB monthly cap is from the new GA pricing model and will not yet apply to Rich's app that was created prior to GA.

Rich,

Please open the Quota + pricing blade. The donut chart in the upper left will show you want percentage of the monthly quota (in terms of the number of data points) have been used. Can you reply with what you see? Also, can you check what pricing tier you are in by clicking the part in the upper right of the Quota + pricing blade. This should be either Free, Standard or Premium.

Thank you

Dale

Thursday, November 24, 2016 2:10 AM
  • I have only used 3% (154k datapoints) and i'm on the free pricing tier

I have data collected from Oct 28th (the day i turned it on) to Nov 15th.

R

Thursday, November 24, 2016 10:18 AM
  • Thanks Rich - I just wanted to help rule out the easy stuff. Let me loop in a few more folks who can help. 

Dale

Thursday, November 24, 2016 3:12 PM
  • Hi Rich, please follow the process outlined here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/application-insights/app-insights-get-dev-support to open support ticket.

Thank you.

www.twitter.com/bulankou

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 4:26 AM
  • Thanks, i have now created a support ticket.
    Tuesday, November 29, 2016 8:57 AM
  • I'm a bit disappointed to have not heard anything yet. I'm going to try and delete the instance and start again.

Rich
    Thursday, December 1, 2016 11:04 AM
  • The issue was that when i deploy from TFS the job was set to delete all files that don't exist.
    As application insights (AI) was installed from the portal and not via a nuget package the files were deleted.
    The portal does not reinstall AI when it detects they are missing, instead you have to go to the app service in the portal -> Development tool -> Advanced Tools (Kudu) - this opens in a new window -> Site extensions. then uninstall and reinstall AI
    • Marked as answer by RichRubie Monday, April 24, 2017 7:25 AM
    Monday, April 24, 2017 7:25 AM