none
Cyrillic or Greek alphaets in customUI14.xml attributes RRS feed

• Question

• I attempted to use Cyrillic characters in RibbonX labels, but as soon as a label attribute is presented with texts like "лфываф" or "Κσφδγηςη" the customUI editor turns this into "??????". On the other hand characters  é ç à ñ ö ä ü are properly reproduced. Why, and is there a workaround?
    Monday, June 8, 2015 4:05 AM

Answers

• Hi viki_an,

Base on my test, it is related to encoding. For CustomUI editor tool, it may use ANSI encoding, so it can recognize that characters and for the tool issue, it isn’t supported here.

To deal with that issue, please refer to these steps below:

1. Modify that word file’s suffix (.zip)
    2. Copy customUI14.xml file to the dick
    3. Open it with Notepad  
    4. Modify the specify text (лфываф)
    5. File=>Save as, change Encoding to Unicode
    6. Replace old customUI14.xml

Regards                      

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 5:36 AM
  • Hi Reinhard

It is possible to display unicode symbols that aren't "on your keyboard", as long as these symbols are part of the Unicode set used by the computer's display font.

From the page http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/word_tip_pages/dynamic_ribbon_menu.html:

"Bonus Tip: Symbols can be shown on ribbon tabs or control labels by using the Unicode character reference for the symbol. (e.g., "ImageBank ‹" in the XML shown above returns ImageBank© on the menu label. Certain symbols (e.g., the ampersand) can be entered using the format &&."

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 5:04 PM

All replies

• Hi viki_an,

Base on my test, it is related to encoding. For CustomUI editor tool, it may use ANSI encoding, so it can recognize that characters and for the tool issue, it isn’t supported here.

To deal with that issue, please refer to these steps below:

1. Modify that word file’s suffix (.zip)
    2. Copy customUI14.xml file to the dick
    3. Open it with Notepad  
    4. Modify the specify text (лфываф)
    5. File=>Save as, change Encoding to Unicode
    6. Replace old customUI14.xml

Regards                      

Starain

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 5:36 AM
  • Hi Reinhard

It is possible to display unicode symbols that aren't "on your keyboard", as long as these symbols are part of the Unicode set used by the computer's display font.

From the page http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/word_tip_pages/dynamic_ribbon_menu.html:

"Bonus Tip: Symbols can be shown on ribbon tabs or control labels by using the Unicode character reference for the symbol. (e.g., "ImageBank ‹" in the XML shown above returns ImageBank© on the menu label. Certain symbols (e.g., the ampersand) can be entered using the format &&."

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 5:04 PM