Why use SettingsEdgeLocation enumeration?

Question

• In the guidelines for app settings it states that we should use the SettingsEdgeLocation enumeration when determining where to open our settings flyouts. The enumeration includes values for left and right.

I went over to Bing and googled for a way to change the charm bar or settings to appear on the left of the screen instead of the right. The only answers I found, some of them from official Microsoft sources, stated that this was not possible.

So apparently we cannot create a scenario where the settings by default appear on the left side of the screen, yet the guidelines still state that we must handle this scenario.

My question is: In what scenario do the settings by default appear on the left side of the screen?

Sunday, March 10, 2013 7:56 AM

Answers

All replies

• Please refer to How to support bidirectional UI (Windows Store apps using C#/VB/C++ and XAML) (Windows). It documents the information about Charm bar / Flyout location as well as other language dependencies.
    • Marked as answer by Skymind Sunday, March 10, 2013 5:35 PM
    Sunday, March 10, 2013 10:35 AM
  • So the answer is that if my app is used on a device that is currently set to display a right-to-left language then the settings appear on the left side of the screen, and I can detect this by using

SettingsPane.Edge == SettingsEdgeLocation.Right
    or some similar logic.

Thanks, ForInfo.

Sunday, March 10, 2013 5:35 PM
  • Indeed. Except for this situation, I have not encountered any other scenario.
    Sunday, March 10, 2013 5:51 PM