none
Code First Migrations Keeps Crashing Visual Studio RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using code first migrations with a project. (I'm, using VS2013 Pro Update 4 (12.0.3.101.00) - with ReSharper and Xamarin)

My issues is that quite often when I either run Add-Migration or Update-Database from the package manager console, it totally freezes visual studio, and I have to kill it through task manager.

I doesn't happen every time, but will happen several times throughout the day and is incredibly annoying.

I cant really see anything that would help in the event viewer.

Can someone help me work out what the issue is?

Matt

Saturday, May 30, 2015 1:32 PM

Answers

• Hello Matt,

From your description, it is hard to tell what the caused reason is since the migration is made of the Entity Framework model, the Nuget command console and the Visual Studio environment, so my suggestion is you could firstly narrow down this issue, for this, you could check:

If it is a project issue:

Create a new project with same entities and do the same migrations and do the migrations with the original project using migrate.exe manually without the nugget command tool: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/data/jj618307.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396, if they causes its migrations failed, please provide your project environment as your detail migration for your model, the database you are using and the Entity Framework version.

Visual Studio nugget command tool issue:

Run the original project on a different Visual Studio on the same or a new machine to check if the project still crashes the Visual Studio, if so, I think the tool may not be installed correctly, you could post this feedback to Visual Studio forum or the NuGet forum(seems the forum is moved to the GITHUB).

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, June 1, 2015 1:55 AM