none
Word files become temporary ones (Documents being renamed to .tmp name automatically ) RRS feed

• General discussion

• There is an archived thread from http://microsoft.public.word.docmanagement at http://tinyurl.com/6t9nvmu describing a problem wherein Word files become temporary ones. Over the past few months, several of my customers have reported it to me. It began when I encouraged the use of the Word option 'Make local copy of files stored on network or removable drives', but I was unable to reproduce it on any test system for some long while. I have recently been able to reproduce it to order, and am documenting the problem and my conclusions about it here in case it is of use to anyone else.

Where it occurs, the problem can be recreated as follows:

1. Set Save Auto Recover info . .  option to one minute;
    2. Open a new document;
    3. Type something in it;
    4. Wait one minute;
    5. Press Save. The filename in the title bar changes to ‘~WRC1234’ or similar.

If the user does not notice this and closes Word, any work they have done is lost.

Wherever I have encountered this problem, the following conditions are always true:

• In Options > Save, 'Make local copy of files stored on network or removable drives' is ticked;
    • In Options > File locations, the AutoRecover file location is on  a Network Drive.

Changing the AutoRecover file location to somewhere on the C drive has always fixed the problem.

I can reproduce the problem in versions 2002 (XP) and 2003, but have been unable to in 2007 and 2010.

• Moved by Jie BaoModerator Tuesday, May 22, 2012 3:01 AM (From:Word for Developers)
    • Changed type Mr. Wharty Wednesday, May 30, 2012 6:11 AM More of a discussion than a question
    • Moved by Mr. Wharty Wednesday, May 30, 2012 6:11 AM Some great content which could also benefit Word Developers (From:Off-Topic Posts (Do Not Post Here))
    Monday, May 21, 2012 3:08 PM

All replies

• Hi Julian,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

It's based on my experience that your issue will be better support at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/word. Would you please post there?

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 2:57 AM
  • Hi Tom,

I posted here in the MSDN forum as an MSDN subscriber who spent many hours researching this problem. In my view it is likely to be an issue of interest to fellow developers. I would be grateful if you could move it back there.

Julian

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 10:19 AM
  • Hi Tom,

I posted here in the MSDN forum as an MSDN subscriber who spent many hours researching this problem. In my view it is likely to be an issue of interest to fellow developers. I would be grateful if you could move it back there.

Julian

This thread would be beneficial in both forums so i am moving it back to the Word for Developers forum.  I can't however add it to the forum mentioned by Tom as a thread can only belong to one forum.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 6:10 AM
  • Hi Julian (and Tom and Mr. Wharty)

The problem is that the MSDN forums support developer (programming) questions. You're just not going to find the expertise for the problem you're having here on MSDN: the people who work the MSDN forums are specialized, and not in the area your problem is. You'll find many more people who deal with Word in the kind of way you're having a problem in the Answers forum. Or perhaps also in the Technet forums (for IT professionals).

We can move your question to the Technet set of forums, if you wish. But messages cannot be moved from MSDN to Answers - it's a different set of servers with different protocols.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 4:51 PM
  • Hi Cindy and everyone else,

All I want to do is make publicly available some information that I have discovered which might be of help to the wider community. As a developer with a long-standing MSDN subscription, this felt the natural place to put it. Particularly because, as a developer, I was setting a Word option that was giving my users trouble. Also, as a developer, it took me a long while to find out what was going on.

Wherever it ends up, a Google search will hopefully find it - I tried to craft the title to maximise the chances of that.

Can we discuss the appropriateness of different fora elsewhere, and whatever is decided make sure that this information is easy to find by as many people as possible who will find it useful?

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 5:52 PM
  • Hi Cindy and everyone else,

All I want to do is make publicly available some information that I have discovered which might be of help to the wider community. As a developer with a long-standing MSDN subscription, this felt the natural place to put it. Particularly because, as a developer, I was setting a Word option that was giving my users trouble. Also, as a developer, it took me a long while to find out what was going on.

Wherever it ends up, a Google search will hopefully find it - I tried to craft the title to maximise the chances of that.

Can we discuss the appropriateness of different fora elsewhere, and whatever is decided make sure that this information is easy to find by as many people as possible who will find it useful?

The OP is not looking for assistance (hence the reason why I changed the type of their post to a discussion), they are providing valuable information on a problem with Word and how to get around it.  This is why I believe their input should be posted here.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

• Edited by Mr. Wharty Wednesday, May 30, 2012 10:11 PM
    Wednesday, May 30, 2012 10:08 PM
  • Hi there, I'm new in this forum and I don't know if it is a proper way to post a reply here.

As I keep searching for a solution of a problem similar to the TOPIC,

Word files become temporary ones (Documents being renamed to .tmp name automatically )
    Press Save. The filename in the title bar changes to ‘~WRC1234’ or similar.

but there are slightly different is that:

Normally press Save it won't pop up a window like Save As,
    but my situation is that when I press Save it pop up a window like Save As,
    then I discover my file name is changed.

Also I observed that in that (Save As Window) all the icon beside "My Computer", "My Document"
    change to unknown icon.

After I choose a location to save, probably it keeps on looping the Save As window which means
    it cannot save it properly.

Finally when I give up to save it, closed MS Word. The original file disappeared in my HDD.

For both conditions are false in my case:

• In Options > Save,'Make local copy of files stored on network or removable drives' is ticked;
    • In Options > File locations, the AutoRecover file location is on  a Network Drive.

This problem makes me doing the job again and again. Hopefully there is a way to help solving this problem.

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 7:31 AM
  • Hi Gary

From your problem description, I suspect there is a problem on your system. What you describe is not normal behavior, but it has nothing to do with programming, which is the topic of MSDN forums. The better place for you to get assistance with this would be the Communities forums:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/word

When you post there, be sure to mention the versions of Windows and Word you're using. Also, given the options you list, be sure to describe the type of system you're using. Is anything stored locally on your computer, or is it all in Network locations? If both, do you see any different behavior when working with a local document as opposed to one coming from the network? Is Word (Office) installed locally, or is this a Terminal Server or similar kind of installation? That's all information that the folks more familiar with configuration issues will want to know...

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 9:51 AM
  • Word docs can be restored via repair word docx file

More info is found http://www.repairdocx.docxrepairtoolbox.com

Sunday, September 22, 2013 1:36 PM