none
Urgent - Add Column to DBF File RRS feed

• Question

• I am reading records from a DBF file. This works fine. But now I need to add a couple of columns and write to them. This is my connection string:

string.Format("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source={0};Extended Properties=dBase III", fileInfo.Directory.FullName)

When I use the same connection string for this code

string.Format("ALTER TABLE {0} ADD COLUMN Notes Text", Path.GetFileNameWithoutExtension(fileInfo.Name)

or

string.Format("ALTER TABLE {0} ADD COLUMN Notes v(20)", Path.GetFileNameWithoutExtension(fileInfo.Name)

I just get:

Syntax error in field definition.

Is my problem really a syntax error? Or, is this just impossible? I read this:

"Note The Microsoft Jet database engine does not support the use of ALTER TABLE, or any of the data definition language (DDL) statements, with non-Microsoft Jet databases. Use the DAO Create methods instead." here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-help/alter-table-statement-HP001032207.aspx

I can't use DAO because the machine is 64 bit and DAO won't work.

Can someone please give me the correct syntax? My boss needs this for a demo tomorrow.

Please help!!!

• Edited by MelbourneDeveloper Tuesday, September 20, 2011 4:15 AM
    • Moved by Paul Zhou Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:48 AM (From:.NET Base Class Library)
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 4:13 AM

Answers

All replies