Visual Studio simulator keeps loading. It freezes, tried everything, nothing works.

Question

• Hi all,

So I've seen numurous threads where the Visual Studio Simulator freezes at the loading screen. And so far every solution I tried has not worked. I'm using a HP Elitebook 8570p with Windows 8.1 and Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate.

I started a blank Windows Store App and tried to run it. Output from Visual Studio:

1>------ Deploy started: Project: App1, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
    1>Updating the layout...
    1>Deployment complete. Full package name: "e6265529-593d-4d6f-8f08-22e53ab8e401_1.0.0.0_neutral__vg37fh2wax0j6"

Then the simulator starts and it keeps loading. (There are blue dots going from the left to the right). Also, visual studio shows an information windows saying: "Starting the simulator...". After 10 minutes the simulator still hasn't loaded. I tried:

• fDenyChildConnections fix in the registry - Not working
    • I don't have any open VPN Connections
    • Starting the simulator directly from C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Simulator\11.0\Microsoft.Windows.Simulator.exe. It keeps loading.
    • I restarted the simulator, Visual Studio and my laptop numerous times, but it's still not working.
    • Event viewer shows no errors.
    • Deleting bin/obj folder - Not working

So I close the simulator in the taskbar and then Visual Studio gives me an error saying "Unable to start the simulator. Simulator closed or crashed." OR "Unable to start the simulator. Cannot process request because the process (xxxx) has exited." 

So how do I fix this because it's really frustrating! When I try to run the app on the local machine, it works fine. But then I can't troubleshoot the code (use break-points etc), because I cannot see/use the application when I debug.

Toine

Monday, September 30, 2013 7:06 AM

Answers

• Hi Toine,

Did you try to update your graphic driver? And I strongly suggest you raise your question at Connect, I'm not sure if I can solve this issue for you since I do not meet such issue before and the answer I provided are might be too general.

The Link for Connect: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio I think they will help you with a satisfied solution.

Best Regards,

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, October 1, 2013 1:19 AM

All replies

• Hi Toine,

Did you try to update your graphic driver? And I strongly suggest you raise your question at Connect, I'm not sure if I can solve this issue for you since I do not meet such issue before and the answer I provided are might be too general.

The Link for Connect: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio I think they will help you with a satisfied solution.

Best Regards,

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, October 1, 2013 1:19 AM
  • Yes, I'm 100% sure I have the latest graphic drivers. I'll take a look at Connect now. 

Wednesday, October 2, 2013 11:56 AM