none
u-sql VertexFailedTooMany

Question

• Am using u-sql to extract from parquet files but not having much luck. I have set up a simple example with a small file with 3 string columns but is still failing. The error is:

"VertexFailedTooMany"

Which isn't a useful error. I thought using the parquet extractors would be fairly straight forward. Am I missing something obvious?

If someone could help me with how I might fix this or even how to investigate it a little further to get a more useful error message it would be great.

Any help appreciated!

Here is my code

USE dbudev01;
     SET @@FeaturePreviews = "EnableParquetUdos:on";

@input =

EXTRACT townname string,
                    areacode string,
                    region string

FROM "/TWI/2_Raw/Data_Warehouse/raw_region.parquet"
              USING Extractors.Parquet();

OUTPUT @input
             TO "/TWI/2_Raw/Data_Warehouse/raw_region_1.parquet"
          USING Outputters.Parquet();
    Friday, August 17, 2018 10:18 PM

All replies

• I would say there is nothing wrong about the code. I have tried your script and it works fine for me. Please look at the below screen shot. Please check your parquet file and its format. There might be some error in reading the data from the file.

I created a parquet file using the below script:

Then I used your script to read and write to another file:

It was successful:

To separate the error. Try creating a parquet file using the script above in a separate job and in a new job try to run your script on parquet file created by the former script and let me know if you face any issues. Please also attach a screen shot of the error to help you better.

Monday, August 20, 2018 8:54 PM
  • Hey there,

Thanks so much for answering. Are you running that locally? I have visual studio 2015 - it gives me an error of :

Also my colleague ran it in visual studio 2017 15.8.2 and it said parquet UDO's are not yet supported?
    • Edited by pieman01 Tuesday, September 4, 2018 12:12 AM
    Monday, September 3, 2018 10:17 PM
  • I ran it in azure portal
    Thursday, September 6, 2018 6:44 PM
  • I just ran it in visual studio against my cloud data analytics service, and got "Parquet UDOs are not yet supported"?
    Wednesday, September 19, 2018 8:01 PM