none
FS logix O365 container VHD growth RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have some issues with VHDs growing in size dramatically (Office 365 containers, not using FSL for Profile at the moment). We are using dynamic allocation. 

The issue seem related to MS Teams, when log in to Citrix the O365 container VHD is a few 100MB, when starting Teams it grow fast to 4GB+. But, even if it allocates 4GB+, it only contains about 600MB of data. (I also have containers that are 10GB+, which also contains about 600MB of data).

I have tried to compact the VHDs with http://www.citrixirc.com/?p=1052 tool, but it only releases a few MB (often none).

So, why are the VHDs allocating like 10GBs when only containing a few 100MBs?

We are using FSL together with Citrix and Server 2012R2 Datacenter, but have the same problem on Server 2019 Datacenter.

Mattias Sörman

Monday, June 1, 2020 2:14 PM

All replies

• I've also had this.

You can tray to defrag the vhd<x> first with Windows stations optimization of another tool and then shrink it again.

Teams creates al lot of temporary files during installation/initialization.

This article gives a good explanation of how to prevent this:

https://virtualwarlock.net/microsoft-teams-in-citrix/

Monday, June 1, 2020 3:19 PM
  • As stated in my question I have already done this with http://www.citrixirc.com/?p=1052 tool and it doesnt release any space.. 

Mattias Larsson

• Proposed as answer by Mxyzptlks Wednesday, June 3, 2020 8:53 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mxyzptlks Wednesday, June 3, 2020 8:53 AM
    Tuesday, June 2, 2020 6:39 AM
  • Hi, 

If you are using Teams. 

You sould add this exclusions in your "redirections.xml"

<!--Teams-->
        <Exclude Copy="0">AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Cache</Exclude>
        <Exclude Copy="0">AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Application Cache</Exclude>
        <Exclude Copy="0">AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Service Worker\CacheStorage</Exclude>

Maybe, you will need to rebuild your Office365 VHDX.

Wednesday, June 3, 2020 8:55 AM
  • Yes, but isnt that Profile Container settings?

Can I use redirections for O365 container when not using Profile Container?

Mattias Larsson

Wednesday, June 3, 2020 11:12 AM
  • I think its for the profile container and Office 365 Container, why ? 

Because we used FSLOGIX for Profile and office 365 and we got the same issu like you . Two VHDX have grown (same size) when we used Teams. 

Since we adding exclusions and rebuild VHDX, no more two big VHDX for me and my users :-)

But do not add more exclusion for Teams  than i suggest (its broke Teams)

Wednesday, June 3, 2020 11:24 AM
  • Is the correct format on the file?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <FrxProfileFolderRedirection ExcludeCommonFolders="0">
      <Excludes>
    <!--Teams-->
        <Exclude Copy="0">AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Cache</Exclude>
        <Exclude Copy="0">AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Application Cache</Exclude>
        <Exclude Copy="0">AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Service Worker\CacheStorage</Exclude>
      </Excludes>

</FrxProfileFolderRedirection>

If yes, the same problem still occurs after implementation. 

Mattias Larsson

Wednesday, June 3, 2020 12:29 PM
  • xml seems good. 

Be aware that you need to restart your VDA to apply this configuration.

If you launch FRXTRAY.EXE on your Citrix Session, do you have this line ? 

[14:44:12.275][tid:00000f60.00001184][INFO]            Added redirection C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Teams -> \\?\Volume{xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx}\Teams\application
    [14:44:12.275][tid:00000f60.00001184][INFO]            Added redirection C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams -> \\?\Volume{xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx}\Teams\data

So forget the xml configuration, i think its working together with Office365 and Profile Container.

Maybe you should try to do the exclusion with your profile manager (Like Citrix UPN) for adding this line :

"AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Cache"

"AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Application Cache"

"AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Service Worker"

Wednesday, June 3, 2020 1:00 PM
  • Yes I have:

[15:54:40.018][tid:00000fdc.00005664][INFO]            Mirroring "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Teams" to vhd(x) "Teams\application"
    [15:54:40.115][tid:00000fdc.00005664][INFO]            Added redirection C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Teams -> \\?\Volume{xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx}\Teams\application
    [15:54:40.116][tid:00000fdc.00005664][INFO]            Mirroring "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams" to vhd(x) "Teams\data"
    [15:54:40.264][tid:00000fdc.00005664][INFO]            Added redirection C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams -> \\?\Volume{xxxxxxxxxxxxxx}\Teams\data

Added exclusion to Citrix Profile Manager, but still the same..

Mattias Larsson

Wednesday, June 3, 2020 2:00 PM
  • Did you remove (or rename) your vhdx Office 365 to create a new one ? and try ?

Wednesday, June 3, 2020 2:47 PM
  • Yes I did..

Mattias Larsson

Thursday, June 4, 2020 5:52 AM
  • Yes I know that, if you read my original post I have compact/shrinked the VHD but the VHD dont release space (even if it contains almost no data).

Mattias Larsson

Thursday, June 4, 2020 5:53 AM