Different permission for same user for different site in same group RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am working on SharePoint 2013, it is possible to set different permission to same user across different sub sites, in same group.

let me summarized my scenario,

I will be having 1000+ sub sites under one site collection, now I want to edit access to different people across different site, however I want to use single groups. I am breaking permission inheritance in each site.

is there any solution for this, rather than creating separate group in each site and assigning individual permission.

Sunday, July 3, 2016 6:26 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

You can use PowerShell script to achieve this,

http://sharepointpromag.com/sharepoint-2013/exploring-sharepoint-users-groups-and-security-using-powershell

Hope this help.

Vote - if you find this helpful

Marked as Answer - if you see this reply being an answer to the question of the thread

Regards,

Amjad Khan

Blog: https://amjadk.com

Sunday, July 3, 2016 6:48 AM
  • Hi patganesh

In the same group ? - No, unless you change permissions associated with group in each subsite accordingly. You can also assign permissions to users directly, but that is not a recommended method.

Thanks
    Mohit

Sunday, July 3, 2016 9:02 AM
  • and how to change the permission association of group in sub site?
    Monday, July 4, 2016 3:18 AM
  • Hi,

Please check this,

http://lightningtools.com/sharepoint_2010/sharepoint-2010-permissions-management-guide/

Above guidlines are for SP2010 but can also work for SP2013.

Hope this help.

Vote - if you find this helpful

Marked as Answer - if you see this reply being an answer to the question of the thread

Regards,

Amjad Khan

Blog: https://amjadk.com

Monday, July 4, 2016 4:10 AM
  • Hi,

You can set the different permission for the SharePoint group in different sub sites and also you can use the custom permission level that restrict only the edit permission on the site.

You can also do the same for individual user by breaking the inheritance on different site.

You cannot use breaking inheritance for the user who has member of the group to set the different permission and used in the breaking permission.

Murugesa Pandian | MCPD | MCTS | SharePoint 2010 |

Monday, July 4, 2016 4:35 AM
  • Hi patganesh,

If you want the users in a specific group have different permission for different sub site, it's better to break the permission in site level other than creating much groups for each sub site.

Here is a demo for your reference:

SharePoint Under Performance of Unique Permissions

Thanks

Best Regards

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 5, 2016 9:34 AM
  • Let me brief,

Lets say I have Groups "MyContributor" at site collection, with contribute permission. 

I have Sub sites, "TestSubsite1" and "TestSubsite2" with broken the permission from parent site.

Now I have two users, User A should get Contribute access to TestSubsite1 and read only access to TestSubsite2,

User B should get Contribute access to TestSubsite2 and read only access to TestSubsite1.

In real time I will have thousands of sub sites and lots of users, so is there any way that we can address this scenario by creating common group ? or should I go and give individual permission to users (Which is not recommended)

• Edited by patganesh Friday, July 8, 2016 2:17 AM
    Friday, July 8, 2016 2:14 AM
  • Hi patganesh

You cannot have common group for this scenario. Whatever permissions are applied to group, same are valid for its members. So you should assign individual permissions to users.

Thanks
    Mohit

Friday, July 8, 2016 4:48 AM