none
Windows 8 polling rate RRS feed

• General discussion

• Is there a fix for changing the polling rate on mice manually on Windows 8?

If you install hidusb.sys via this method which works for Windows7/vista, it does not work. http://www.ngohq.com/news/15043-how-to-increase-usb-sample-rate-in-windows-vista-7-a.html#ixzz1dfRTDX00

I even went and rebooted and enabled testing mode on Windows 8 via the charms bar, and that still did not work.

What is preventing Windows 8 from signing the driver? Or if that's even the issue. Mice with hardware switches or that work with razer synapse/logitech are not affected. Only dumb mice like the WMO/Salmosa Pro

Is this because Windows 8 forces TRCA authentication for drivers?

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10760513/in-windows-8-will-third-party-inf-driver-files-require-a-signature

I saw this, noworkarounds?

Monday, October 7, 2013 4:12 AM

All replies

• Driver signing enforcement is unchanged unless it is a secure boot machine. Otherwise you can still load an unsigned driver x32 . I doubt you can change the polling rate with your custom driver. All hidusb does is send reads down to the USB stack, the USB stack controls the schedule which is what polls the device

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, October 7, 2013 5:06 AM
  • You can change the polling rate fine in xp/vista/7(64 bit), but it does not work in Windows 8 if you look around.

Monday, October 7, 2013 5:48 AM
  • any ideas?
    Sunday, October 13, 2013 2:17 PM
  • With driver security enforcement disabled and testing mode enabled it is possible to change the polling rate of USB ports in Windows 8 using the HIDUSBF.SYS driver, however, if you try this you will notice that you can only change the polling rate to frequencies of 125hz or lower.

Windows, by design, prevents older USB 1.x devices (i.e. mice such as WMO and IME 3.0) from having higher polling rates because it's not permitted under the USB standard (at least from what I've been told). Newer mice that use USB 2.0 are permitted to have higher polling rates and that's why many recent gaming mice have drivers that allow you to easily increase it. The culprit for the limit is the Windows USBPORT.SYS driver, which has checks to prevent USB 1.x devices from having polling rates of higher than 125hz. It needs to be reverse engineered and patched before you will be able to achieve higher polling rates on old USB devices.

The HIDUSBF.SYS driver that many people use to allow higher polling rates is a low level filter driver that performs two tasks:

1. Intercepts the USB Endpoint Descriptor reported by the device and modifies bInterval to a value that will allow for a higher polling rate.
    2. Patches the USBPORT.SYS driver in memory to prevent the USB polling rate from being limited (the driver file can be patched on disk instead but that will affect all connected USB devices, not ideal).

HIDUSBF.SYS is currently only able to patch USBPORT.SYS on Windows 7 and below because the required modifications to file on Windows 8 haven't yet been discovered.

• Edited by ox1de Saturday, October 19, 2013 1:37 AM
    Monday, October 14, 2013 7:32 AM