locked
XML Format of Live Tile?

    Question

  • I am using the app manifest to link to my Live Tile XML. However, the app tile doesn't change and I still see the static app tile. What am I doing wrong? Am I formatting the XML incorrectly? 

    In the app manifest, I set the following under the "Tile Update" section:

    • Recurrence: Half hour
    • URI Template: http://URLToMyXML

    The XML is formatted using the following schema:

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <tiles>	
    	<tile>
    	  <visual>
    		<binding template="TileSquarePeekImageAndText04">
    		  <image id="1" src="http://image.jpg" alt="Alt Text"/>
    		  <text id="1">Title of News Item</text>
    		</binding>  
    		
    	
    		<binding template="TileWidePeekImage06">
    		  <image id="1" src="http://image.jpg" alt="Alt Text"/>
    		  <image id="2" src="http://image.jpg" alt="Alt Text"/>
    		  <text id="1">Title of News Item</text>
    		</binding> 
    	  </visual>
    	</tile>
    
    
    	<tile>
    	  <visual version="2">
    		<binding template="TileSquare150x150PeekImageAndText04" fallback="TileSquarePeekImageAndText04">
    		  <image id="1" src="http://image.jpg" alt="Alt Text"/>
    		  <text id="1">Title of News Item</text>
    		</binding> 
    		
    		<binding template="TileWide310x150PeekImage06" fallback="TileWidePeekImage06">
    		 <image id="1" src="http://image.jpg" alt="Alt Text"/>
    		  <image id="2" src="http://image.jpg" alt="Alt Text"/>
    		  <text id="1">Title of News Item</text>
    		</binding>  
    		<binding template="TileSquare310x310ImageAndTextOverlay01">
    		  <image id="1" src="http://image.jpg" alt="Alt Text"/>
    		  <text id="1">Title of News Item</text>
    		</binding>  
    		 
    	  </visual>
    	</tile>
    </tiles>

    What am I doing wrong?

    Friday, November 14, 2014 3:52 PM

Answers

All replies

  • try to use valid url's for the images

    Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

    Friday, November 14, 2014 4:58 PM
  • The actual XML I am using does have valid URLs. I just used placeholders for the sake of the forum question.
    Friday, November 14, 2014 5:12 PM
  • If I get rid of the 1st <tile> node so there is only one tile node (version 2), and also make the remaining tile node into the root node (getting rid of the <tiles> node), then the live tile works. But that solutions gets rid of the fallback tiles.

    I've tried multiple combinations and I can't seem to get the "fallback" <tile> to work. I've tried placing the contents of the 1st and 2nd <version> nodes into a single <tile> node, but that didn't work. I've tried to edit the original XML so it is no longer contained in a <tiles> tag, but that didn't work.

    Saturday, November 15, 2014 2:48 PM
  • you cant have a tiles element in your xml. version have to be declared at the visual element.

    see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/br212859.aspx


    Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

    Saturday, November 15, 2014 3:51 PM