Plopped in the Middle RRS feed

• Question

• I have become the project manager for a large scale office relocation/redevelopment/move project. I am trying to develop standard project management documentation (i.e. Project Charter, WBS, Schedule etc.), but am having trouble deciding how to begin. The main problem I face is that a large part of the project work began a couple of years ago and is already underway (i.e. about 30 - 40% in various project areas) prior to my coming on board. No project management documentation was started at the beginning of the project and now I am trying to develop a schedule etc. given that things are already well underway (or in a few cases are completed). Can anyone recommend how I might approach this problem re: Gantt Chart, Network Diagram etc. - I am using MS Project 2007 for scheduling.

Thanks

Thursday, June 23, 2011 5:10 PM

Answers

• Zvonk,

A milestone schedule only includes milestones.  It will show you a timeline and give you a "high-level" view of what state the project is at.  For past work, it may be your only choice.  People whose brains you are picking should at least be able to remember when the milestones occured (approximately).

Wes Weston
    • Marked as answer by Zvonk Friday, August 26, 2011 2:44 PM
    Friday, July 15, 2011 11:23 PM

All replies

• My approach would be to start picking as many brains as you can to find out where the project is.  You guestion is to general for an answer in the forums. You may want to be more specific on what you are tyring to do.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    www.WhartonComputer.com
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 5:47 PM
  • wow that sucks! sence you are comming in to this so late do you have documentation to review?" record notes to self"
    Rabbit
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 7:53 PM
  • Zvonk,

You're first step (related to M/S Project) would be to build a milestone schedule. Period. That along with what Michael suggested which is crucial. From there build a Key Events schedule.  This will make the WBS more evident to you.

Wes Weston
    Friday, June 24, 2011 12:44 AM
  • Thanks Michael.

The "brain picking" started almost as soon as I started on the project. I guess to be more specific, the difficulty I am having is really trying to figure out how to record all the work that had already occured on this proejct prior to my joining. Specifically, when setting up the schedule in MS Project 2007, trying to determine a "start date" and a "start task" while still accounting for the work that has already occured.

Thanks for your help.

Boris

Monday, June 27, 2011 2:32 PM
  • Thanks Sabrina,

Yes it does. I have been "picking brains", as Michael suggests, and reviewing documents, as you suggest, pretty much since I began on the project I guess my real diffuculty is trying to figure out how to record all the work that occured prior to my starting (there was no formal project management work/documentation occuring prior to my starting), and how to start the schedule in MS Project 2007 i.e. start date, start task etc.

Thaks for your help

Boris

Monday, June 27, 2011 2:36 PM
  • Thanks Wes (or is it Vassilly?)

When you say "milestone schedule" I am not sure what you mean? I know what milestones are, and how to set them up in MS Project, but maybe you are referring to something else? I have started to work on building the WBS, but I guess my main problem is trying to figure out how to record the work that has already occureed on this project in the project schedule that I am setting up in MS Project 2007. Also trying to figure out what to put as the start date and the start task is also somewhat perplexing.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Boris

Monday, June 27, 2011 2:41 PM
  • Zvonk,

A milestone schedule only includes milestones.  It will show you a timeline and give you a "high-level" view of what state the project is at.  For past work, it may be your only choice.  People whose brains you are picking should at least be able to remember when the milestones occured (approximately).

Wes Weston
    • Marked as answer by Zvonk Friday, August 26, 2011 2:44 PM
    Friday, July 15, 2011 11:23 PM
  • Thanks Vassily,

I appreciate the advice and will start to put together a milestone schedule (timeline).

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 10:37 PM
  • Just to add my 2 cents...why do you care about what happened in the past and when?  By definition there was no baseline.  I would not spend my time trying to capture the history of the project but only to establish what the remaining work is and to properly plan the remainder of the project.  You can't change the past; think of it like sunk cost.
    Terrie T - MCTS - PMP - MBA****PMO & Project Server Admin
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 3:09 PM
  • Thanks Terrie.

I (we) might just come to that point i.e. don't worry about the past, just do what I can do from the time I took over. Certainly I have tried to put in good "project management" princples since taking on the project, and things have started to turn around.

Friday, August 26, 2011 2:42 PM