Building your own file browser

Question

• Hi,

I am currently working on an app that deals with documents. For managing the documents, I am considering creating my own file browser that can interact with the documents library. The reason I don't want to use only file pickers is because I want to be able to to some extent mimic a standard windows file browser (deleting, copying, moving, etc) and I also want to be able to select multiple files and share them with an email or so.

I've been trying to find out a bit about conventions when it comes to these things. One problem is that very few existing apps actually provide for this functionality. Some apps maintain their own set of files and for example the pictures app allows for deletion of pictures from the picture library.

Does anyone know of any good apps that have implemented something that directly lets the user browse the documents library or so?

Also, I am concerned that users may be confused by the fact that there is a file browser build in, but also the option to use the file picker. I will have to provide the option of using the file picker, since the app can't get access to all files. If creating your own file browser as part of an app is very rare, it may be more confusing than it is helpful.

I'd appreciate any suggestions, both for getting around the potential confusion with the file picker and for finding apps that have similar behaviour.

Cheers,

Tomas

Thursday, August 16, 2012 6:15 PM

Answers

All replies

• This isn't a recommended scenario, so there isn't any guidance on it. Note that your app cannot get access to everything in the Documents folder, only to files of types it understands.

--Rob

Friday, August 17, 2012 3:11 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks, that makes sense.

I've been browsing the web for a while, trying to figure out exactly how users are expected to manage files on their win8 tablets and desktops. I recall reading that the file browser will be shipped with x86/64 builds, but not with ARM builds, where they are optional. Is this correct? However I was never able to find a good source on some of these things.

How are users supposed to manage files on their computers? What about searching for files?

I'm sure there are resources out there that detail how users are expected to transfer and access file and so on, perhaps someone could point me to a post or video or something that details file management (and file management expectations on apps) that would be nice.

Cheers,

Tomas

Friday, August 17, 2012 3:51 PM
  • Those facilities will be provided by the OS, not by apps.

For more information see Announcing the Windows 8 Editions and the Building Windows for the ARM processor architecture blog entries.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by T Hofmann Friday, August 17, 2012 11:57 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by T Hofmann Friday, August 17, 2012 11:57 PM
    • Marked as answer by T Hofmann Friday, August 17, 2012 11:57 PM
    Friday, August 17, 2012 10:51 PM
    Owner
  • So, basically: Don't worry about file management. It's up to the user of the Windows 8 device to ensure they have some form of file management (usually the included file manager) available if they want to do that.

Thanks for the links, I think I got most of my fears and worries answered :)

Friday, August 17, 2012 11:59 PM
  • Sorry to dust off Old thread.

I am facing same issue, Please help me to resolve below thread

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-US/8ef6fb80-9951-4041-aaa6-7f2f7dfa9448/custom-ui-using-filepicker

• Edited by Muthazhagan Wednesday, September 04, 2013 9:27 AM Grammer
    Wednesday, September 04, 2013 9:24 AM