none
Hide the File Tab from Word 2016 RRS feed

All replies

• Hello,

Why do you need to hide the File tab?

There is no trivial way to hide the File tab. 

profile for Eugene Astafiev at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

Thursday, June 28, 2018 6:49 PM
  • Hello,
    Actually I am adding new buttons to my ribbon like New and Save for my company which I am going to customise.  
    I want disable some specific buttons in the backstage view if not the file tab from the menu!
    Is that possible?
    Friday, June 29, 2018 4:46 AM
  • Hello ask98,

>>I want disable some specific buttons in the backstage view if not the file tab from the menu

I think it should be possible. Which buttons do you want to disable?

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 29, 2018 5:10 AM
  • Hello Terry,

I want to disable the Save, Save as, and New!
    Can i hide the File tab itself?

Best Regards,

Ask

Friday, June 29, 2018 9:14 AM
  • Hello Ask,

MS Word does not provide the function to hide these button/tabs itself. We need try to custom the Office Fluent Ribbon.

I would suggest you check below documents for starting.

And here is the simple XML for your need.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <customUI xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2009/07/customui" onLoad="Ribbon_Load">
      <ribbon>
      </ribbon>
      <backstage>
        <button idMso ="FileSave" visible ="false"/>
        <tab idMso ="TabSave" visible ="false"/>
        <tab idMso ="TabOfficeStart" visible ="false" />
      </backstage>
    </customUI>

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 29, 2018 9:58 AM
  • Dear Terry,
    I have already tried all these but nothing seems to work. 

Grateful if anyone could help me with preventing a new word document to open when i click on new through the NewDocument Event.  

Private Sub oApp_NewDocument(ByVal Doc As Document)

MsgBox ("New Document cannot be opened")
    End Sub

I am using this function.  Any code i can add to prevent the launch of a new word doc?

Friday, June 29, 2018 12:38 PM
  • Hello ask98,

I suggest you not use the NewDocument Event to do this. We could not figure out if the document is created by clicking on the New or not so the event will prevent all the document creating. As the result, we will fail to create any new document anymore. I think that must be a bad design.

I think hiding the New button may be more suitable for you. What do you mean nothing seems to work?

What did you do? How did you custom the ribbon? I would suggest you share your detail steps so we could try to know why it not works.

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support

Monday, July 2, 2018 7:13 AM
  • Late to the party... sorry.

You may want to look at File New Variations in the Versions of Word for some options on new file creation.

It seems to me that you could completely rewrite the Ribbon. This is not a trivial task, though, especially if you put in the context tabs. I have not tried it.

My go-to resource is: RibbonX: Customizing the Office Ribbon by Robert Martin, Ken Puls, and Teresa Hennig which never mentions the File tab because when it was written, it was the Office button.

You can certainly modify the Backstage and make certain tabs there not visible. (The vertical list in Backstage is tabs.)

Additional resources:

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Saturday, December 14, 2019 6:26 PM