none
uwfmgr.exe exclusion / delete files & folders RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

using the "unified write filter" with some file & folder exclusion, I`m only able to delete some files from these locations but I`m not able to delete specific folders.

For example I excluded the following folder in my windows embedded installation (ice):

uwfmgr.exe file add-exclusion C:\Downloads\Files

After that I created some textfiles and folders within this folder - everything works as expected; I can also restart the computer and all files & folders are still there.If I try to delete these files and folders I can only delete the files but not the folders. Deleting a folder, I`ll get an error message that I don`t have enough rights to do that.... `The user is part of the administrators group. 

Do you have any clue what`s going on here?

best regards

Bernd

Friday, March 22, 2013 2:04 PM

Answers

• Yes, I kind of noted this in my WES 7 book and an article for FBWF. When a delete happens, there is an attempt to move the contents to the recycle bin. Since the recycle bin is protected by FBWF or UWF, the OS doesn't give you permission to just perform the delete. Shift-delete bypasses the recycle bin and deletes the files. Programmatically, you should be able to do a delete just fine.

-Sean

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Friday, March 22, 2013 7:57 PM

All replies

• Does a shift-delete work?

-Sean

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Friday, March 22, 2013 2:33 PM
  • Hi Sean,

shift-delete works. Do you know the difference between "delete" and "shift-delete"? And if it is possible to configurate all necessary settings to delete such a folder with "delete" as well?

• Edited by bsu Friday, March 22, 2013 4:41 PM
    Friday, March 22, 2013 4:40 PM
  • Yes, I kind of noted this in my WES 7 book and an article for FBWF. When a delete happens, there is an attempt to move the contents to the recycle bin. Since the recycle bin is protected by FBWF or UWF, the OS doesn't give you permission to just perform the delete. Shift-delete bypasses the recycle bin and deletes the files. Programmatically, you should be able to do a delete just fine.

-Sean

Friday, March 22, 2013 7:57 PM
  • Interessting. Never noticed myseld (but not working a lot with FBWF).

Thanks Sean.

Windows Embedded Developer and Scripting Guy //Germany (Preparing a blog about Windows Embedded Standard)

Friday, March 22, 2013 11:38 PM
  • I ran into it by accident when first testing FBWF what seems like many years ago.

-Sean

Saturday, March 23, 2013 12:21 AM
  • It is also described in this article

Friday, April 26, 2019 12:29 PM