MSDN Dowload Problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have been trying to download MS SQL Server 2010 R2 Web Edition since yesterday.  The download shows 4177MB and a download time of many hours (sometimes greater than 12) but the download completes in an hour or so and the file size is between 250MB and 1GB, and fails to install (obviously, but I have tried it none-the-less).

I have tried the download via Windows 7 Ulitmate (with Firefox and IE9) and Windows Server 2008 R2 (just using IE9) many times over the past 24 hours.

lukkea
    Saturday, September 3, 2011 2:05 PM

Answers

• I installed a third party download manager and this enabled me to download the file.

(I tried Chrome & Safari too before resorting to this - to be fair to Safari I didn't allow that to run to completion before installing the third party manager, so Safari may have be capable of managing the download itself)
    lukkea
    • Marked as answer by lukkea Sunday, September 4, 2011 3:03 PM
    Sunday, September 4, 2011 3:03 PM

All replies

• I installed a third party download manager and this enabled me to download the file.

(I tried Chrome & Safari too before resorting to this - to be fair to Safari I didn't allow that to run to completion before installing the third party manager, so Safari may have be capable of managing the download itself)
    lukkea
    • Marked as answer by lukkea Sunday, September 4, 2011 3:03 PM
    Sunday, September 4, 2011 3:03 PM
  • 3rd party download aids do not work for me as the downloads are not resumable.  You just got lucky in that particular case, is all.
    • Edited by pmokonino Thursday, September 8, 2011 11:56 AM
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 11:56 AM
  • Something seems to be very broken still from Australia. Currently trying to download Windows Server 2003 Web w/ SP1 that is listed as 512 MB is showing that it will take over 10 hours to download. But without the downloader (with the resume option)  IE9 never gets to finish the download as it encounters a problem after many hours in -- and has to start all over. I feel like I'm back in dialup connection land not using ADSL2+! If you have broken the system can't you roll it back or come up with a temp solution?

Regards,

Brenton.

Friday, September 9, 2011 5:32 AM
  • Sorry about the continued problems. We were collect traceroute info a few days ago, and we are still collecting it. If you're still having problems with slow downloads, or downloads that stop half way through, please send us your traceroute info:
    In Windows 7, collecting traceroute data is easy:
    • Click Start and type "Command Prompt".
    • At the command line type: 'tracert msdn.vo.msecnd.net' without the quotes and Press enter.
    • Right click the command prompt window and click "Select all" and then press enter.
    • This copies the info into your clipboard, which you can drop back onto the forums, or to keep the forums clean, you can send them to sbpfdbk@microsoft.com with the subject "MSDN Traceroute"
    If you're still seeing issues, and you haven't provided your traceroute info in the last day, please send it in!
    Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!
    Friday, September 9, 2011 7:51 PM