SSRS 2016 - report templates RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking for a solution to create custom report templates so I dont have to replicate same layout/sql logic into many reports. Is there anything available?

Thanks

Monday, January 30, 2017 10:50 AM

All replies

• Hi

Yes, you can create a custom template and save the template in an appropriate folder and that template can be used when you want to create a  new report. 

Location to place the custom report,

For SQL Server 2005

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\ProjectItems\ReportProject

For SQL Server 2008

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\ProjectItems\ReportProject

For SQL Server 2012

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\ProjectItems\ReportProject

Refer: http://www.databasejournal.com/features/mssql/creating-a-custom-report-template-in-ssrs.html

Thanks

Hari

Monday, January 30, 2017 11:20 AM
  • The provided solution uses a new copy of a template. Thus if a template is changed all reports that are based on it will need to be changed. Any kind of inheritance can also be implemented?

Thanks

Monday, January 30, 2017 2:14 PM
  • Hi

You can check the below link. I have not tried so test it before apply to the production reports.

https://magenic.com/thinking/update-all-ssrs-reports-to-apply-consistent-header-footer-on-demand

Thanks

Hari

Monday, January 30, 2017 4:15 PM
  • I see how I can create a new report based on a template using VS. But how can I create a new template based report using standalone report builder?

Thanks

Monday, January 30, 2017 7:07 PM
  • Create a template as described before and make a copy of it for creating a new report.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 5:09 AM
  • When I create a new blank report in Report Builder I am not prompted which template to use like it does when I add a new item in Visual Studio.
    Tuesday, January 31, 2017 2:40 PM
  • Hi markgoldin,

As you mentioned, it doesn't prompt to select a custom template to use when we create new item in Report Builder.

One workaround is that we can design a template report and then upload it to report server. Then, we can re-use the template report to design the expected report in Report Builder. Also you can grant users read-only access to the template report so that they cannot edit it.

Reference: Report Builder 3 0 Report Templates

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,
    Yuliana Gu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 6:31 AM
  • does anyone know if this is available on the latest SSDT 2017 with VS 2017? look like the folder is gone.

is there any official documentation on this from Microsoft?

I Hope I could help. If I have answered please mark as 'Answer'. If was just helpful, please vote. Thanks and happy coding! Bruno Lucas, http://dynamicday.wordpress.com/

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 10:51 AM
  • Microsoft pulled template support because they don't think business users need anything other than black and white (with no gridlines).  They're totally deaf to the needs of real business users.  I've resigned to just using Report Builder from SS 2014 until management changes at Microsoft and they start listening to users.
    Friday, December 15, 2017 3:00 PM
  • Yea, like that will ever happen...
    Friday, December 15, 2017 3:06 PM
  • To save a report template in 2017:

"The new location is now under (replace Enterprise with whatever your sku is): C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\SSDTRS\ProjectItems\ReportProject"

Friday, March 2, 2018 4:18 PM
  • This worked for me with the exception that the "SSDTRS" part of the path was just "SSRS".  You'll also need to close and re-open VS after you add the template. To use the template right click on the "Reports" folder in your project and select "New Item".  Your template should be available in the resulting window.
    Tuesday, December 18, 2018 2:50 PM