none
Custom templates not working in Visual Studio 2015 Community Fresh installation

Question

• I have created custom templates for my projects in 2015 Visual Studio Community on a computer with previous versions of VS that have been updated (history). However, on a Surface Pro 4 with a fresh install they aren't working. When I create a new project with the custom template none of the cpp or h files that I created as part of the template can be found in the new project. I am using exactly the same procedures that are successful on my other computer. Do you know what the problem might be?

I have checked further and now this is also a problem with my desktop computer. The only thing that has changed is that we are doing a project and I have added a Team Foundation. Since the files are there, I would guess that I need to revert to whatever the configuration was before I started using TF. We do not have our own server so we are using the online approach.

Thanks.

Craig

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 5:03 PM

All replies

• Hi Craig,

>> When I create a new project with the custom template none of the cpp or h files that I created as part of the template can be found in the new project.

Does the error message like below in your side? I also encountered the same issue in my side. And I got the below popup when I opened the .ccp or .h files.

Someone has posted a feedback about this issue to Microsoft Connect: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/2894593/problem-about-export-template-from-c-project

You may comment and vote it at that page, and engineers from Microsoft will evaluate it seriously.

There is also a workaround on that page for you to refer to, I just pasted below:

You need to modify the resulting .vstemplate file within the zip file to include the entries for all the source files that were part of the project:

Here's an example:

<ProjectItem ReplaceParameters="false" TargetFileName="Win32DialogBox.cpp">Win32DialogBox.cpp</ProjectItem>

<ProjectItem ReplaceParameters="false" TargetFileName="resource.h">resource.h</ProjectItem>

<ProjectItem ReplaceParameters="false" TargetFileName="Win32DialogBox.h">Win32DialogBox.h</ProjectItem>

<ProjectItem ReplaceParameters="false" TargetFileName="Win32DialogBox.rc">Win32DialogBox.rc</ProjectItem>

And add the source files to the zip file. I do this by dragging the added/modified files and dropping them on top of the zip file.

Now, I have found the zip files located at two to three different locations:

1) "%userprofile%\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\My Exported Templates";

2) "%userprofile%\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Templates\ProjectTemplates"; and

3) sometimes at one of these locations "%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\WDExpress\14.0\ProjectTemplatesCache" or "%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0\ProjectTemplatesCache", depending which Edition of VS2015 you are using.

If it’s possible, please mark the reply as answer which will let other members who have the same issue to vote and comment it. Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

Best regards,

Fletcher

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 19, 2017 9:28 AM