none
Extract MSI for SQL Server Management Studio 2016 (v16.5)

Question

• Does anyone know how to extract the MSI file from the latest version of the SQL Server Management Studio, version 16.5? I like to use that file as the detection method when building an Application on SCCM. The built-in "layout" command doesn't extract the files like I was expecting:

SSMS-Setup-ENU.exe /Layout C:\Temp

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 11:10 PM

All replies

• hi Duct,

use cmd:>setup.exe /x path

Please click Mark As Answer if my post helped.

Wednesday, November 9, 2016 2:27 AM
  • Hi Duct tape and super glue,

Based on my research, I don't see any official extracting method. But since it’s a PE file, you could always use tools like PE explorer.

For more information , please refer to this SO thread.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 9, 2016 2:29 AM
  • Hi Duct,

To extract files from a .msi file at the command line, type:

msiexec /a PathToMSIFile /qb TARGETDIR=DirectoryToExtractTo

Refer following Link

http://thebackroomtech.com/2007/08/23/howto-extract-files-from-a-msi-file-using-the-windows-command-line/

Please click Mark As Answer if my post helped.

Wednesday, November 9, 2016 2:33 AM
  • Vishe. The /x operation didn't work. I would imagine because I'm not trying to install SQL Express. I'm installing just the Management Studio, which as of SQL 2016 is now a separate download file. The msiexec command is also equally useless since the whole problem is that I don't have the MSI file.

Lin. I didn't try the PE Explorer option, mainly because I feel like as a consumer, I shouldn't be forced to reverse engineer Microsoft code so that I can follow Microsoft's Recommended Best Practices for deploying Microsoft software using Microsoft deployment tools because Microsoft's documentation doesn't actually do what it says it does. If Microsoft fails to give me the files that they say I should be using in my SCCM package, then I'll find another way. But I appreciate your creativity.

There's a new version available now (16.5.1). The "Layout" switch actually does extract files from the executable, but the only file it extracts is the .NET Framework, just like the previous version. Apparently I'm not supposed to have the MSI for some reason?

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 5:13 PM
  • Does anyone know how to extract the MSI file from the latest version of the SQL Server Management Studio, version 16.5? I like to use that file as the detection method when building an Application on SCCM. The built-in "layout" command doesn't extract the files like I was expecting:

SSMS-Setup-ENU.exe /Layout C:\Temp

I am sorry but i would ask, why would you like to do that?

Balmukund Lakhani
    Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other users find a solution quicker
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Blog | Team Blog | @Twitter | Facebook
    Author: SQL Server 2012 AlwaysOn - Paperback, Kindle

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 5:43 PM
  • Because Microsoft are idiots and don't bother testing their own products WITH their own products before releasing them. SSMS doesn't install reliably through SCCM as the exe file. I've seen some suggestions that this is due to the 32bit client trying to install a 64 bit exe.

At least if I could extract the MSI I could make it an application that would advertised to the user and they could trigger the install.

Friday, January 27, 2017 2:29 PM
  • According to this article, it appears you need to have SCCM 1606 update to support SQL Server 2016:

SCCM 1606 Upgrade SQL Server 2014 SQL Server 2016

Also, have you reviewed this article for assistance?

Install SQL Server 2016 from the command prompt

Also, I found this step-by-step guide that looks helpful:

Installing SQL 2016 for Configuration Manager

Additional resource reference:

Support SQL Server Versions for System Center Configuration Manager

[Please mark as answer if this post helps you]

Hope that helps,

Phil Streiff, MCDBA, MCITP, MCSA

• Edited by philfactor Friday, January 27, 2017 7:18 PM
    Friday, January 27, 2017 3:00 PM