none
Installing GNOME on CentOS (WALinuxAgent conflict) RRS feed

• General discussion

• Many users want to install a desktop environment such as GNOME on CentOS VMs running on Azure, which they can then connect to using remote display utilities such as VNC or FreeNX.  Unfortunately, installing the GNOME desktop packages also requires the NetworkManager package, which as has been discussed in other documentation should not be installed on Azure VMs and conflicts with our WALinuxAgent package.

Simply forcing NetworkManager to install will often remove the WALinuxAgent package, which is a bad thing(tm).  Other user guides have suggested simply installing NetworkManager, force removing it and then reinstalling the WALinuxAgent package.  This is not the best solution and could results in removing important files.  The best and easiest solution is to simply exclude NetworkManager and NetworkManager-gnome from installation and updates.  Your GNOME desktop will work just fine without it.

There are two ways to do this -

1. Edit /etc/yum.conf and add the following line to the end of the file:

exclude=NetworkManager*

Then run:

# yum clean all
          # yum groupinstall basic-desktop desktop-platform x11 fonts
    2. Alternatively, you can also exclude the NetworkManager packages directly on the command-line:

# yum groupinstall basic-desktop desktop-platform x11 fonts  \
                    --exclude=NetworkManager  --exclude=NetworkManager-gnome

Option #1 is an easy one-line fix and probably preferred, as it allows you to update or reinstall GNOME-related packages without always using the additional "--exclude" parameters or worrying about accidentally removing the WALinuxAgent package.

I hope this helps!

Thursday, June 20, 2013 8:05 PM

All replies

• You should remove WALinuxAgent and install it again:

yum remove WaLinuxAgent

yum groupinstall basic-desktop desktop-platform x11 fonts

yum install WaLinuxAgent 

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 8:09 AM
  • No, definitely not a good idea.  If you do this you run the risk of deleting the /etc/sudoers.d/waagent configuration file that was created during provisioning, which will not be recreated when re-installing the agent.  If this file is deleted you will lose sudo access to your VM.

In general, the Windows Azure Linux Agent should never be uninstalled.  The instructions I posted above is the best way to install GNOME and keep things working.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 5:55 PM
  • Hi Stephen, i have tried the above steps, everything installed but i couldn't not able to do startx. see the below error [root@note2 ~]# startx xauth: creating new authority file /root/.serverauth.22588 X.Org X Server 1.10.6 Release Date: 2012-02-10 X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0 Build Operating System: c6b7 2.6.32-220.el6.x86_64 Current Operating System: Linux note2 2.6.32-279.14.1.el6.openlogic.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Dec 12 18:33:43 UTC 2012 x86_64 Kernel command line: ro root=UUID=9246707a-30ab-47be-b78f-bb7b24a459a8 rd_NO_LUKS rd_NO_LVM LANG=en_US.UTF-8 rd_NO_MD SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 crashkernel=129M@0M KEYBOARDTYPE=pc KEYTABLE=us rd_NO_DM rhgb quiet numa=off console=ttyS0 rootdelay=300 Build Date: 24 January 2013 04:14:37PM Build ID: xorg-x11-server 1.10.6-1.0.1.el6.centos Current version of pixman: 0.18.4 Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.centos.org/Documentation to make sure that you have the latest version. Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting, (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational, (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown. (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sun Oct 27 12:23:10 2013 (==) Using default built-in configuration (21 lines) (EE) open /dev/fb0: No such device expected keysym, got XF86TouchpadOn: line 120 of inet expected keysym, got XF86TouchpadOff: line 121 of inet (EE) Microsoft Vmbus HID-compliant Mouse: failed to initialize for relative axes. expected keysym, got XF86TouchpadOn: line 120 of inet expected keysym, got XF86TouchpadOff: line 121 of inet GNOME_KEYRING_SOCKET=/tmp/keyring-rDyxqx/socket SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/keyring-rDyxqx/socket.ssh GNOME_KEYRING_PID=22643 ** (gnome-panel:22662): WARNING **: panel-applet-frame.c:1288: failed to load applet OAFIID:GnoteApplet: (null) Kindly suggest me the workaround My Email ID : nr.siva.90@gmail.com Sivaraman NR +91814720015
    Sunday, October 27, 2013 12:28 PM
  • Just running startx via SSH will not work.  Typically, the use case here is to install the graphical desktop environment on the VM and access it via some remote display tools such as VNC, FreeNX, xrdp or similar.

Steve

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 6:00 PM
  • Thank a ton mate.. 

Monday, December 30, 2013 8:26 AM
  • And for those of you that are interested in consuming an X application via the browser, here's a quick demo of fernapp running on Azure: http://1drv.ms/1oEGFkq - I'm uploading it to http://channel9.msdn.com/blogs/open later this week.

Want to know more? Mail OpenSource at Microsoft.com.

Monday, June 9, 2014 9:25 PM