Is there a way to investigate why App takes so long to access Database via Wi-Fi RRS feed

• Question

• I am working on LOB app which requires to access Ms Dynamics NAV (Database ) thru authentication  via Wi-Fi.

Here the scenario in LAN:

1) I use Win8 Pro Laptop running the same WinRT App in Emulator in Visual studio and access the Database via Cable-link in LAN.

2) I deploy the same App in WinRT Surface tablet and access the same Database via Wi-Fi

The result:

For (1) : it works very fast.

For(2) : it took very long to access or fail to get thru the authentication stage ( like time out)

What seems to be the problem and How I can identify what are the problems related to WiFi  in the App working in LAN ?

I need some help. Thanks

Monday, February 17, 2014 1:07 PM

Answers

• Hi Fire,

There are no common problems with WinRT apps on WiFi.  They work fine.  Your problem must be your WiFi connection itself or your environment.  One simple test is to take your machine to a different location that has WiFi and see if you have the same issue.  Also test different things like your download speed using one of the many free speed test websites available.  At least you will know your app is fine!

Teaching you how to troubleshoot connection issues via a forum post is not something I could do, but in general you can look at the time it takes for a response when you issue a request.  If you are not familiar with how a TCP network conversation works you can 'Bing' it for some background.  You can also 'Bing' Troubleshooting network delays.

Obviously one difference is if you have a Gigabit hard connection and move to a wireless g router you will have a difference in speed because one network is simply faster then the other.  Your problem could be so many things (network driver, settings, the wifi router and settings) that you will need to do some research yourself.  See if you router has known speed issues.

To summarize:

• Determine the download speeds in your environment, hard wired and WiFi.
    • See if you see the same performance with your app.
    • Learn about troubleshooting TCP traffic online.

If all this fails you can consider opening a support case with Microsoft to help you troubleshoot this!

Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

@jsandersrocks - Windows Store Developer Solutions @WSDevSol
    Getting Started With Windows Azure Mobile Services development? Click here
    Getting Started With Windows Phone or Store app development? Click here
    My Team Blog: Windows Store & Phone Developer Solutions
    My Blog: Http Client Protocol Issues (and other fun stuff I support)

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 12:48 PM
  • You say "with authentication" -- does this mean that you're relying on enterprise authentication to connect to the database?  If so, that might be the problem.  Your RT tablet isn't domain joined, and won't send credentials via the "negotiate" (NEGO) protocol.

It's just a guess, of course; your database might use a different credential scheme.

For Fiddler, I would set up fiddler on both the "working" and "not working" machines; that way you can tell what the difference is.

Network Developer Experience Team (Microsoft)

Thursday, February 20, 2014 6:45 PM

All replies

• I would start by looking at the network traffic.  Start with Fiddler, if that does do anything for you move onto netsh: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/wsdevsol/archive/2013/10/10/tracing-network-activity-on-windows-rt.aspx

(fiddler is referenced in the above link)

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Monday, February 17, 2014 8:11 PM
  • Thank for the link for netsh. As I am not very experienced on this kind of troubleshooting.

Say I got the files produced by netsh. What I should look at to identify the causes or problems that this App faces that it runs so slow in Wi-Fi environment.

What are the common known problems for WinRT App to work in Wi-Fi environment. how to improve and what router should use so that WinRT app will work in an optimal condition.

Thanks

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 3:06 AM
  • Hi Fire,

There are no common problems with WinRT apps on WiFi.  They work fine.  Your problem must be your WiFi connection itself or your environment.  One simple test is to take your machine to a different location that has WiFi and see if you have the same issue.  Also test different things like your download speed using one of the many free speed test websites available.  At least you will know your app is fine!

Teaching you how to troubleshoot connection issues via a forum post is not something I could do, but in general you can look at the time it takes for a response when you issue a request.  If you are not familiar with how a TCP network conversation works you can 'Bing' it for some background.  You can also 'Bing' Troubleshooting network delays.

Obviously one difference is if you have a Gigabit hard connection and move to a wireless g router you will have a difference in speed because one network is simply faster then the other.  Your problem could be so many things (network driver, settings, the wifi router and settings) that you will need to do some research yourself.  See if you router has known speed issues.

To summarize:

• Determine the download speeds in your environment, hard wired and WiFi.
    • See if you see the same performance with your app.
    • Learn about troubleshooting TCP traffic online.

If all this fails you can consider opening a support case with Microsoft to help you troubleshoot this!

Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 12:48 PM
  • Hi Jeff

Thank you so much for the help. I really appreciate your help and practical approach to take. I will investigate the Hardware,settings as well as TCP.  This LOB app needs to work in all scenario. So, I will switch the App to work in Offline mode if Online mode like wifi is giving problem.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 3:09 AM
  • You say "with authentication" -- does this mean that you're relying on enterprise authentication to connect to the database?  If so, that might be the problem.  Your RT tablet isn't domain joined, and won't send credentials via the "negotiate" (NEGO) protocol.

It's just a guess, of course; your database might use a different credential scheme.

For Fiddler, I would set up fiddler on both the "working" and "not working" machines; that way you can tell what the difference is.

Network Developer Experience Team (Microsoft)

Thursday, February 20, 2014 6:45 PM