none
Receiving "SignatureDescription could not be created for the signature algorithm supplied" error RRS feed

• Question

• I have an application that accesses a web service. I have been updating that application to communicate at TLS v1.1.

My request goes out OK, but the response causes an exception in the WSE dll (Microsoft.Web.Services3), or at least that is what my debugging says.  The error returned is SignatureDescription could not be created for the signature algorithm supplied. I can't see anything wrong with the response.

Since the exception is not in my code, I am at a loss as to how to proceed.  Anything I can try?

Environment

• VS 2015 C#
    • .NET 4.6
    • RSAOAEP
    • SHA256 (RSA Encryption)
    Tuesday, February 21, 2017 2:33 PM

Answers

• Hi Ty2Runr,

>>I think my problem has to do with the use of Microsoft WSE 3.0.

I am afraid WSE 3.0 runs only on .NET Framework 2.0. It is too old framework. It is out of support end date.

You can check the following blog for more details.

Support Ending for the .NET Framework 4, 4.5 and 4.5.1

>>Unless someone know how to make WSE deal with SHA-256, I will be re-writing it for WCF.

I would suggest you using WCF instead. for WCF issues, please repost it in WCF forum for better support.

Best regards,

Kristin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Ty2Runr Thursday, February 23, 2017 2:16 PM
    Thursday, February 23, 2017 7:12 AM

All replies

• Hi Ty2Runr,

>>Since the exception is not in my code, I am at a loss as to how to proceed.

As you said, there is no code here, it's hard to locate where the issue is.

So after some search, there is blog talking about this issue, it‘s worth a try.  

I wonder if there is a issue related to SHA-256 support on your system

Anyway, please try first.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/smondal/2012/08/24/signaturedescription-could-not-be-created-for-the-signature-algorithm-supplied/

Best regards,

Kristin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 2:48 AM
  • I think my problem has to do with the use of Microsoft WSE 3.0.  I don't think it knows how to do SHA-256 so I end up with the decryption error.

The most irritating thing about this is that there is no definitive declaration from Microsoft about its capabilities.  I understand that it was written to address limitations in .NET 2.0 (around 2005, yeah, pretty old), but still.

Unless someone know how to make WSE deal with SHA-256, I will be re-writing it for WCF.

Incidentally, if anyone knows of any C# code that I can use as a model, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.  

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 2:17 PM
  • Hi Ty2Runr,

>>I think my problem has to do with the use of Microsoft WSE 3.0.

I am afraid WSE 3.0 runs only on .NET Framework 2.0. It is too old framework. It is out of support end date.

You can check the following blog for more details.

Support Ending for the .NET Framework 4, 4.5 and 4.5.1

>>Unless someone know how to make WSE deal with SHA-256, I will be re-writing it for WCF.

I would suggest you using WCF instead. for WCF issues, please repost it in WCF forum for better support.

Best regards,

Kristin

MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by Ty2Runr Thursday, February 23, 2017 2:16 PM
    Thursday, February 23, 2017 7:12 AM
  • Seems as though the application was obsolete when it was first written in 2011, it just didn't know it.  I've already started to look at WCF.  

Thanks for all your advice.

Thursday, February 23, 2017 2:19 PM