none
Bing Maps REST Services: Locations API - Terrible Results RRS feed

• Question

• I am converting a mapping application from the V6.3 web maps to the v8.  Mostly finding v8 to be an improvement, but one thing seems terribly lacking.  Our app would let user's search for an address or a keyword, then we would pass that info to the VEMap.Find method in v6.3 and get results.  I've tried to replace the functionality using the Bing REST Map Services Locations API which sounds like the current equivalent, but am finding the results to be practically useless.

I make sure to pass it an extent of my map, and it just seems clueless.  I'm in the Louisiana area, and I search for "Burger King" for instance, and it returns one result for a Burger King in Indianapolis.  I've tried the word "restaurant" and gave it either a small extent or a user location for the area I'm trying to search, and it sends me a single restaurant all the way in South Africa.  I've even made sure the maxResults is specified.

Has anyone gotten this to return useful results for generic search terms?  Is it not meant to be used for that?  Is there any service that does that to replace virtual earth/bing 6.3 Find() which did do that?  It seems to be able to find named landmarks (Mt. Rushmore, Eiffel Tower) just not generic things like restaurant, dry cleaners.

Thanks,

Josh

• Edited by So_Many_Joshes Friday, November 25, 2016 10:17 PM left out a word
    Friday, November 25, 2016 10:16 PM

Answers

• The service you are using is for geocoding addresses and is not a local business search. "burger king" type queries will not return good results, as that service isn't a local business search service. Bing maps doesn't have a free form local business search. If you are going to use the rest services to geocode addresses, be sure to follow the best practices documentation. That said, if you are migrating your app to bing maps v8, there is a search module which wraps the rest geocoder and also implements the best practices automatically.

[Blog] [twitter] [LinkedIn]

• Proposed as answer by Ricky_Brundritt Saturday, November 26, 2016 1:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by So_Many_Joshes Saturday, November 26, 2016 10:56 PM
    Saturday, November 26, 2016 1:39 AM

All replies

• The service you are using is for geocoding addresses and is not a local business search. "burger king" type queries will not return good results, as that service isn't a local business search service. Bing maps doesn't have a free form local business search. If you are going to use the rest services to geocode addresses, be sure to follow the best practices documentation. That said, if you are migrating your app to bing maps v8, there is a search module which wraps the rest geocoder and also implements the best practices automatically.

[Blog] [twitter] [LinkedIn]

• Proposed as answer by Ricky_Brundritt Saturday, November 26, 2016 1:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by So_Many_Joshes Saturday, November 26, 2016 10:56 PM
    Saturday, November 26, 2016 1:39 AM
  • Thanks, that's what I figured, but wanted to be sure I wasn't doing something wrong.  It's too bad because the old VEMap.Find() method did have those datasets, but now it's gone.
    Saturday, November 26, 2016 10:58 PM