The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Azure Virtual Machines!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

Issue with Cloud-init Ubuntu & CentOS images RRS feed

• Question

• So, 

I have been messing with cloud-init for the past 17 hours and scratching my head as to why the cloud-init wouldn't install correctly -- At times...

I've traced the issue back to a DNS / routing issue on both stock ubuntu and centOS images that doesn't setup networking properly and run user data cloud-init files without internet access.

When running any networking tasks e.g. apt-get update, yum update, curl I get the following errors : 

May  5 04:40:07 localhost cloud-init: http://olcentgbl.trafficmanager.net/centos/7/os/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 12] Timeout on http://olcentgbl.trafficmanager.net/ce$

May  5 04:40:07 localhost cloud-init: Trying other mirror.

A simple ping to google returns the following : 

unable to resolve host

I have ran a dig command : dig ns.google.com @8.8.8.8

connection timed out; no servers could be reached

This issue comes up constantly 1/4 servers will have this issue, which will not allow the correct running of the cloud-init script causing the install to fail and software not to be added.

I've tried manually connecting to the server and adding google dns to /etc/resolv.conf, no dice. Issue still exists and still cannot ping.

After about 10 minutes of the server installing, ping starts to work on its own... Long after cloud-init has failed.

Sunday, May 5, 2019 5:50 AM

All replies

• HI,

I hope all the 4 servers you created are with the same config and resides in the same vnet. Please confirm.

Also share the documentation if you are following one.

Monday, May 6, 2019 11:32 AM
  • HI,

I created some deployments with cloud init and as i thought it went well. 

Lets identify the difference between the servers which passed and the ones which failed. Using those details we can troubleshoot.

Cloud init logs will be a good starting point. 

Monday, May 6, 2019 12:10 PM
  • Is there any update on this? 

Karishma Tiwari - MSFT

Thursday, May 16, 2019 8:32 PM
  • HI,

Is there any update

Friday, May 24, 2019 12:16 PM
  • Hi,

Is there any update

Friday, May 31, 2019 4:23 AM