Assigning Groups of resources to tasks RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

If I assign more than one individual resource to a task, MS Project 2010 schedules assuming that the resources can work independantly of one another.

How can I assign more than one resource to a task and indicate that those resources need to work as a group on that task, for example if one resource is on holiday then the task can't continue (with the other resources) until that one returns from holiday?

I hope someone can help me.
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 3:13 PM

Answers

• Dag Martijn,

Don't let the pessimists take over; this is perfectly possible in MS Project.

I even wrote an article on this on my website http://users.online.be/prom-ade/ and click through to Microsoft Project: an article (it is also there in Dutch)

In short, DO NOT give resources an individual absence calendar, instead enter their absences as tasks with a fixed (Muct Start On) date and then use resource leveling with the option "Leveling can adjust individual assignments.." UNCHECKED.

Then leveling knows people have to work together.

If you need this on only a few tasks, check the option ON, enter the column Level Assignments and put on No for the tasks where collaboration is needed.

Greetings,

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 5:05 PM

All replies

• MartijnNL,

Your best bet is to create a group resource. For example, let's say that Bill, Jim and Joyce are all painters working on a job. Instead of naming each of them as a separate resource and then assigning all of them to a task, simple create a resource called "painters". And instead of the max units being 100% for each, the max units should be 300%.

It is a little unusual that even with a group, if one member of the group is out sick or on leave for a day or two the work stops completely. The point of having a group is that they work together and can "cover" for each other in those circumstances. However, if there is something unique about your group, then you will need to create a group resource calendar that contains the combined off times of each individual member.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 3:27 PM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for your answer. It's a pitty that I have to create a new resource for this. Because I have a lot of resources with their own holliday plans. But if there is now other option I have to create a new resource. Can you please tell me how to create a group resource calendar?

Martijn

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 4:33 PM
  • Hello MartijnNL,

You can create a resource Calendar and then assign it to all users who in your scenario act as a Group so that when 1 of them is on leave other also couldn't perform the task. Refer following link to know how a resource calendar could be created : http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/how-calendars-work-in-project-2007-HA010157840.aspx

Sapna S
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 4:44 PM
  • Dag Martijn,

Don't let the pessimists take over; this is perfectly possible in MS Project.

I even wrote an article on this on my website http://users.online.be/prom-ade/ and click through to Microsoft Project: an article (it is also there in Dutch)

In short, DO NOT give resources an individual absence calendar, instead enter their absences as tasks with a fixed (Muct Start On) date and then use resource leveling with the option "Leveling can adjust individual assignments.." UNCHECKED.

Then leveling knows people have to work together.

If you need this on only a few tasks, check the option ON, enter the column Level Assignments and put on No for the tasks where collaboration is needed.

Greetings,

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 5:05 PM
  • Thanks Jan, I totally missed this option :)
    Sapna S
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 6:14 PM
  • Dag Jan,

Thanks for your answer. I have still some problems if i follow your article. 

For example i have create 3 tasks:

1: task 1 (work 80 hours, constraint type must start on 14-03-2011)

2: task 2 (work 40 hours, start after task 2)

3: holiday Peter (16 hours, start:14-03-2011, finish 15-03-2011)

I have two resources Peter (100%) and Michal (100%). Peter and Michal are both assigned to task 1 and 2. Peter is also assigned to task holiday Peter. When I try to level the resources i get an error: Project cannot resolve the overallocation of "Petr"on Monday 14-03-2011.

Do you know what is wrong in this case?

Regards,

Martijn

PS: I also sent you and example by email

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 12:01 PM
  • Hi Martijn,

When you ask Project to do the impossible, it will gently tell you this is impossible.

Task 1 MUST START ON 14/3

Task 3 MUST START ON 14/3

Both have to use Peter as a resource: this is not possible.

Remove the Must start on constraint of one of the two tasks (do you want Peter to work on task 1 only after his holiday or do you want him to delay his holiday? Up to you!) f.i. by setting a start no earlier than constraint.

Greetings,

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 1:41 PM
  • Hi Jan,

Ok I understand it isn't possible to set two MUST START ON constrains at the same date. I set the constraint must start on 14/3 only for task 3 (holiday Peter). After that i level the resources. Task 1 will start two days later 16/3. This is not correct because  Michal can already  start on 14/3 with task 1.  The two resources need to work as a group on  task 1 and task 2. If Peter is on holiday then the task 1 can continue.

Is it possible that task 1 start on 14/3?

Regards,

Martijn

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 4:08 PM
  • Hi Martijn,

They have to work together as a group but Michel can already start???? No he can't because you tell me they have to work together so het has to wait for the end of Peter's holiday.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 6:34 PM
  • Hi Jan,

Maybe I explain it wrong but  they work together as group. If Peter is on holiday Michal can take over the tasks of Peter. So Michal don't have to wait when Peter is back from his holiday. In this senario do I have to create 1 resource for it with max unit: 200%?

Regards,

Martijn

Thursday, March 10, 2011 10:34 AM
  • Hello Martijn,

Lets us first clarify what is a Group when you say, because somehow your Group terminolgy and its defination is causing confusion. Say you have Michal and Peter in a Group.

So when Task T1 duration -3 days is assigned to them, and on 2nd and 3rd day of the task Peter is on holiday :

Does your Group mean :

That on 1st day both work; on 2nd and 3rd day Michal work and mark the task T1 as 100% done ?

OR

on 1st day they both work and on 2nd & 3rd day task is on hold (as Peter is on leave) then on 4th and 5th day both work to finish it.

Please clarify.

Sapna S
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 10:43 AM
  • Hi Sapna,

Sorry for the confusion. I mean the first approche: That on 1st day both work; on 2nd and 3rd day Michal work and mark the task T1 as 100% done.

I try to specify it more in an example:

Task 1: Work 40 hours (5 days) start 14/03

Task 2: Work 40 hours start after task 1

Resources:

- Peter (holiday, start:14-03-2011 finish 15-03-2011)

- Michal 

Michal and Peter both are assigned to Task1 and Task 2.

The first and second day Peter is on holiday but Michal can start on the first day. 

Day 1: Michal 8hrs, Peter 0hrs

Day 2: Michal 8hrs, Peter 0hrs

Day 3: Michal 8hrs, Peter 8hrs

Day 4: Michal 4hrs, Peter 4hrs

After completing this task they can work on task 2. 

Regards,

Martijn

Thursday, March 10, 2011 11:58 AM
  • Lets focus on Task1 as Task 2 goes on anyways after 5 days of Task 1, when you handle situation correctly for Task 1.

Task Name        Duration        Work         Start             Finish         Resources

Task 1               5d                    40hrs             14-03-11       18-03-11      Peter [63%], Michal[63%]

1. Since you want Task to be Fixed Duration as I read anywhere in 1 of your post. And if you also want task to have just 40 hrs of WORK, in that case Units will be like Peter[63%], Michal [63%]. As if 2 Resources work on 5 days tasks it will be 2 Resources * 8 hrs/day - WORK - 64hrs.

2. So now when you go to resource usage you see they work 5hrs/day.

3. Now go to Peter in resource sheet -> Change working time (double clicking him) and mark 14th and 15th as Exception, hence his leaves.

4. Now go to Resource Usage there you will see that :

14th                   15th                16th          17th             18th

Peter                                                        5h             5h                5h

Michel     5h                     5h                      5h              5h                5h

Hope this resolves.

Sapna S
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 1:23 PM
  • Hi,

Pity I did not understand this from the start, I could have told you immediately to forget it. There is absolutely no module in Project that will swith work from one resource to an othe rone. Doesn't exist. You say 20 hours each, so it will be planned and not 28-12 as would be teh "optimum". You can do that manually but Project will not make any suggestion.

Assigning a "total resource" of 200% to the task might help, if you again represent Peter's holiday by a task and use leveling.

Sorry to have kept you waiting.

On the other hand, please re-read your original question. That's the one I answered. Here's a copy-paste from YOUR question:

those resources need to work as a group on that task, for example if one resource is on holiday then the task can't continue (with the other resources) until that one returns from holiday?

That is the complete opposite of what you ask now. You now do want the task to continue with the other resource(s).

Greetings,

Thursday, March 10, 2011 7:02 PM