IPC

Question

• Hello,

I'm so sorry this is another IPC-question, but I don't want to hack into other threads. The reason why I'm asking it again, is because the answers I read are contradictionary.

So, to launch the question, Is there a way so that a Metro-style C++ app and a MFC app can communicate to eachother? In such way that the MFC app 'posts messages' to the Metro-style C++ app. So that the Metro-app can 'react on those events', data need to be transfered from MFC to Metro.

Both need to be C++ without the use of .NET. The app would not exist on the market

I have red articles saying nothing is possible to make 2 processes communicate on the same machine, others state something like RPC and other say WCF is possible, but that would be out of order since that is .NET (right?).

So, isn't there really no way to let those two communicate when they exist on the same pc? Preferrable without .NET, all in C++.

The reason I want to do this, is because I need to access data in a softPLC, but the 3rd party DLL that does the communication doesn't work under Metro, so I would solve it this way. I was hoping I could make a XAML C++ app, but that is only possible with Metro, if you can't use Metro for some way you are referred to MFC or some other old style app making. It's like choosing between a bycicle with flat tires but that can do everything and a 2012 Lamborghini where you can only drive in New York, nowhere else. Disappointing if you ask me.

But, that's not why I came here, IPC Metro C++ to MFC, possible or a big nono?

Thanks

• Edited by Denny007 Friday, April 27, 2012 9:38 AM
    Friday, April 27, 2012 9:34 AM

Answers

All replies

• This style of application would not pass app store certification, or would be delisted should the dependence on desktop software be discovered.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh694083.aspx

3.1 Your app must use only APIs for Metro style apps

The APIs for Metro style apps are described in the Metro style apps API reference. Your app must also not link to, depend on, or otherwise make use of APIs or Windows OS services outside those described in the Metro style apps API reference.

You may want to dispute this interpretation of the policy but it is a direct communication from a Windows PM that this applies to rejecting store apps which depend on a desktop application.

Please use the feedback tool if you wish to communicate the scenario you are trying to support and request a change in this policy to the windows group.

Friday, April 27, 2012 10:11 PM
  • This style of application would not pass app store certification, or would be delisted should the dependence on desktop software be discovered.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh694083.aspx

The app would not exist on the market.

So as I said, maybe not clear, but I don't want to bring it on the app store.

Saturday, April 28, 2012 10:54 AM
  • IPC is not allowed in Metro style apps, the apis are not supported. No pipes, no shared memory, you can't connect to ports on the same machine between Metro style processes and any other.
    Tuesday, May 01, 2012 1:50 AM