none
.NET framework 2 and .NET framework 3 RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to install both .NET framework 2 and .NET framework 3 on one work station?

How can I select which version of framework I want to use if I create a new project in Visual Studio 2005?

Saturday, July 7, 2007 10:45 PM

Answers

• Yes, they will work just fine on the same machine.  In fact, you can install 1.1, 2.0, and 3.0 all on the same machine without problems.  They were designed to work side by side.

As for targeting 2.0 vs 3.0, it's actually pretty simple.  If you want to target 2.0, only use 2.0 features.  If you target 3.0 features, your end-users will need the 3.0 framework installed.  This is because 3.0 isn't a full blown release of the .NET framework.  It's more of a marketing release.  You can think of 3.0 and 2.0+.  3.0 is 2.0 with a ton of new stuff (Workflow, WPF, WCF, etc).

In the upcoming Orcas release (which includes .NET framework version 3.5), we will get a lot more targeting options.

http://blogs.msdn.com/lukeh/archive/2007/06/29/net-framework-multitargeting-in-visual-studio-2008-aka-orcas.aspx

I hope this clears it up for you.

Evan

Sunday, July 8, 2007 12:48 AM