Compatible tablets

General discussion

• Could those of you who have successfully got the Windows 8 preview with Metro apps working on a tablet please report on the tablet model and any unusual steps necessary to install?

Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:27 PM

All replies

• I have it working on an Acer Iconia W500 tablet.  I downloaded the build to a bootable USB drive that was configure using the Windows 7 bootable USB instructions.  I copied the install files to the USB key and it installed easily.  I am typing on it right now.
    Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:49 PM
  • Works on both a Dell Latitude XT and a Dell Latitude XT2.

Both need the digitizer to be on the Win7 firmware (which can only be done by installing the Windows 7 drivers on a Windows 7 install), and then once in Win8, you need to manually extract and install the N-trig drivers.

In addition:

The XT needs the Win7 TUSB3410 driver and the Vista video card driver (from Dell) to work right.  Then, everything works perfectly (if you install Quickset you can even get rotation on the button).

The XT2 needs Controlpoint System manager installed to get the rotation button to work, and I haven't been able to get the fingerprint reader to work using the Windows Biometric Framework (to be fair, I haven't been able to get it to work in Win7 either).   You also need to install the Dell 365 Bluetooth driver to get Bluetooth to show up.   Everything else should work fine, though maybe I'm forgetting something, I installed it pretty late last night.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:57 PM
  • I have it working on the W500 too, but can't get the G sensor installed in x64, you?
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 11:27 PM
  • If you go to the blog below, it states the hardware and devices that the Windows Developers Preview team have tested in the lab.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/13/experiencing-windows-8-touch-on-windows-7-hardware.aspx

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 9:31 PM
  • Hey everyone- we do not have a proper Windows sensor driver for the G-sensor (accelerometer) for this hardware platform. The driver is proprietary and does not work with Windows 8 screen rotation or apps.

If we get updates, I'll post info on the "Tailoring your Metro style app for hardware and devices" forum.

Thanks,
    Gavin

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:49 PM