none
gwes.exe errors - how to analyze?

Question

• I am developing and testing a Windows Mobile 5 application. Occasionally, I get the screen "A problem has occurred with gwes.exe".

How can I determine if the gwes.exe problem is related to my application, and if related, the nature of the problem (so I can correct)?

Thanks,

Frank

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 3:14 PM

Answers

• Do you see a fairly consistent failure?
    The gwes.exe error is likely an issue with the application you are writing, passing in invalid pointers to system api's will occasionally manifest itself as a gwes.exe error.
    Do you see this while running in the emulator?  You may want to attach to your application to see what it is doing at the time that this happens and hopefully that will give you an indication of what went wrong.
    If you run your application under the debugger, their may be pertinent information in the debug output window to help you out as well.

Monday, December 12, 2005 11:58 PM

All replies

• Do you see a fairly consistent failure?
    The gwes.exe error is likely an issue with the application you are writing, passing in invalid pointers to system api's will occasionally manifest itself as a gwes.exe error.
    Do you see this while running in the emulator?  You may want to attach to your application to see what it is doing at the time that this happens and hopefully that will give you an indication of what went wrong.
    If you run your application under the debugger, their may be pertinent information in the debug output window to help you out as well.

Monday, December 12, 2005 11:58 PM
  • What device are you testing on? do you have cleartype enabled? I've noticed that this seems to be a possible culprit for gwes errors

Peter
    Wednesday, December 14, 2005 9:50 AM
  • I am getting the same error. The problem is we have the application deployed over a large number of devices that run Windows Mobile 2003 SE and they never seem to have this issue. I am really lost in trying to find a problem.

I am creating controls dynamically and the same controls seem to sometimes work. Again, I don't get any more details than the error message you have described above.

If you can figure out, please do post your work around or fix. Would help me out a lot.

Thanks,

Rajiv

Friday, September 15, 2006 3:26 PM
  • Double check what seems to be the obvious :)
    No invalid pointers to WindowsAPI, or even erroneous values can trigger this msg.

i had ran into this exact error when i try to create a window which is one pixel wider than what GetSystemMetrics returneds..  silly me..

Cheers - Prakash
    Thursday, February 22, 2007 6:54 AM
  • Hi:

I have a Dell Axim X51v Pocket PC and loaded an application that turns my Dell Pocket PC Oscilloscope and Spectrum Analyzer into a signal generator.  When I turn it on, it gets a GWES.EXE error. 

Although the application does work. 

I have had this error with other applications as well.  I can't remember if it caused problems, or I just ignored it and kept going.

There does not appear to be any major malfunctions except the annoying error message.  Since I am not the original writer of the application, I can't fix it.  I did inform the company I purchased the application from.

By the way, your forum is not Pocket PC friendly.  I had to wait to get to my desktop PC to report this problem.

Tony

Saturday, March 3, 2007 4:40 PM
  •  Peter Foot wrote:
    What device are you testing on? do you have cleartype enabled? I've noticed that this seems to be a possible culprit for gwes errors

Peter

Thanks Peter: After getting gwes.exe error and reading this post, I remembered that I'd just enabled "Use Clear type" option in my HP iPAQ 6915: I disabled the option and the synchro went ok without error.

Thursday, March 29, 2007 3:19 AM
  • i have a O2 Xda Atom smart phone and i got the same error . any solution for this??????????
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 9:06 PM
  • Hi!

I am also facing the same problem of gwes.exe.

I am developing a VC++ application on WinMob 5.0.

Can you please let me know where is this ClearType enable option?

I am not able to find it.

Will it be in the mobile device or it is Visual Studio settings.

Thanks,

Samaya

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 9:48 AM
  •  

Hi omar,

Can you please let me know how and where is this option Cleartype enabled?

Is it in your device? If so please let me know where you see this?

I can finnd in my device. I am using Intermec CK61 computer with WimMob 5.0.

I going crazy with this problem! Need help!

Thanks.

Thursday, August 23, 2007 9:05 AM
  •  

I do have atom and gwes.exe gives problem while viewing PDF file telling "A problem has occurred with "gwes.exe"

Please tell.......?

Do you got any solution so far?

I'll appreciate your help

Thanks

Sunday, August 26, 2007 6:51 AM
  • This article[1] on WindowsForDevices.com has been helpful to me on a few occasions where I have had issues like these.

[1] Finding Windows CE bugs with help from "Dr. Watson" - http://www.windowsfordevices.com/articles/AT7568439504.html

Ryan O'Neill
    Windows Mobile Managed and Native Developer
    http://www.rhinomobile.net
    Monday, August 27, 2007 3:05 PM
  • The problem is related to windows mobile OS GUI.

To solve this problem, use following step……

Click on ‘Start’ > ‘Settings’ > ‘Error Reporting’, now Select ‘Disable error reporting’ and click ‘ok’.

Friday, August 31, 2007 5:19 AM
  • Yes, disabling the error reporting worked for me.  Also, to answer the previous question, you can turn off clear text by going into, "Start->Settings" , System tab, Screen->ClearType tab, and uncheck the "Enable ClearType."

Friday, August 31, 2007 6:28 PM
  • one time,

i use free() fucntinon to free a array . that means, use free() to free the memory which is not alloced by using malloc function.

so generate the GWES.exe error.

and i do not suggest to close the error report, if the App generate gwes.exe error, it means the App have some pointers problem. and if the user open the error report, the App also generate the gwes.exe error.

Saturday, September 1, 2007 1:48 AM
  •  

Ok guys, problem is still unresolved.

Closing error report or uncheck clear type founts cannot resolve the issue.

I’m now just changing the topic, how to resolve the problem/which action could be appropriate so the error not occurs?

Saturday, September 1, 2007 4:09 AM
  • OK, I think I've found out the source of this problem. It's a nasty one. Let me try my best to explain what happened:

I have a structure defined like this:

typedef struct {

float numbers[12];

} MYTYPE;

float *pNumbers, result;

MYTYPE *myType;

result = myType->numbers[0];     // no error here

pNumbers = myType->numbers;

result = pNumbers[0];        // error occurred here!!!

Then I found out that the array numbers[] is not float-aligned (i.e., aligned to 4 bytes), it's WORD-aligned. So I changed it, and the code worked. 

The same code doesn't have any problem on PC, but will result in the gwes.exe as everybody described. I guess it's because the CPUs are different.

BTW, on WinMo 5.0, the error report says it's in gwes.exe, but on WinMo 6.0, it says it's in my .exe, which is a lot more helpful.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 7:43 PM
  • Iam developing and testing a Windows Mobile 5 application. Occasionally, I get the screen "A problem has occurred with gwes.exe".

How can I determine if the gwes.exe problem is related to my application, and if related, the nature of the problem

(so I can correct)?

Thanks & Warm Regards

Thangadurai .A

Mai to : durai.envision@gmail.com

Monday, October 29, 2007 12:14 PM
  • My O xda atom shows the same error message & now I cannot send any text message.

Anyone there to assist me?

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 10:33 AM
  • I want to make ramdisk driver in wince 6. my driver is loaded but gwes.exe is faliure what is the problem behind that.the error is this

4294811420 PID:400002 TID:2700002 GWES initialized properly

4294811436 PID:400002 TID:2c30002 Grow Gdi handle table from 64 to 128

4294811455 PID:400002 TID:1ab0002 AddToProcessInputLocaleTable: Added process to ProcessInputLocale table, hProcess = 0x015D0002

312729 PID:2cd0002 TID:2ce0002 CreateNewProc failure on gwes.exe!, dwErr = 00000002

312734 PID:e40002 TID:e50002 NKCreateProcess exit: dwErr = 00000002

Monday, April 28, 2008 11:52 AM
  • I have a Moto Q smart phone and I got the same error. any solution for this one also????
    Tuesday, May 13, 2008 9:53 PM
  • I had a gwes.exe error running my app with Mobile 5.0.

I have a main form which includes a Panel. I navigate to different sections of my app using that panel. I add and remove user controls to it as I move from one page to another, removing the current user control from the panel's controls first and then adding the new one. When removing the user control from the main panel I would do a Dispose() of the user control instance. I would then load the new user control which included a ComboBox. When I would click on the Combox to display its list I would get the gwes.exe error. After I removed the Dispose() line from my code it started working fine. Don't ask me why, but it seems like the Dispose() was causing weird issues in my app.

Hope this helps.

Lace

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 5:07 PM
  • It was the clear type option for me too. I deselected it and have had no problems since.

Tad

Friday, July 18, 2008 2:13 PM
  •  

Hi all,

I am developing an application for Windows mobile 2005. This application works fine.

Then enable Error reporting ( Start->Settings->System->Error Reporting->Enable error reporting).

When I do a Outgoing call from my application then I'll get this error?

Pls tell me what this problem and how to solve this?

Is it a problem with my application or with System OS.?

Regards,

Prithvi.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:50 AM
  • Click on ‘Start’ > ‘Settings’ > ‘Error Reporting’, now Select ‘Disable error reporting’ and click ‘ok’.

works for me

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 6:15 PM